Attacking rooster

Mayitbe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
I have a rooster who on occasion has tried to come after me. I have been going back after him and actually kicked at him a couple of times and he has backed off. Today, he went after someone else so I have been reading on past posts about how to deal with rooster aggression. I have no interest in making him soup... one, because I am a vegetarian and two, because I just believe there has to be a better way. Some of the posts have suggested catching him and holding him for awhile... but how do you catch him??? It seems that I would be chasing him all over. Any suggestions or other thoughts on this topic?? I guess I should also get a good look at his spurs and deal with them. I read on here that someone microwaved potatoes and put them on the spur for 5 minutes, them pulled them off with pliers. Does that really work???? I love having him around and need to stop this behavior.

To answer part one of your question, the best way to catch a roo is to lure him over with food. Failing that, a large net like the ones used for fishing works wonders. However please keep in mind that this tends to spook the birds, so I'd recommend it as more of a back-up plan. If he gets close to you and starts a little war dance, then it's time to pick him up and carry him around for a while. I've also found that using a large squirt bottle/ water gun works at deterring a naughty rooster.

For the spur part, YES! the potato method does work! I've used it many times myself with great results. One thing to keep in mind though is that the whole spur does not come off, only the top, hardened layer. It's like a little cap. The potato mehtod doesn't take the whole spur away, only shortens/thins it. The part underneath will bleed if cut, so once the cap is removed, the spur should be left alone for a while until a new layer is formed. You'll see what I mean when you do it.
wink.png

Either way, don't give up with your boy! I had a Polish roo who would always attack me in his younger days. After training and time, he gave it up. He's now going on six years old and a docile old bird who will sit and snooze on my lap.

I was able to catch him in their house this morning and I carried him around for awhile. I kept trying to get him to keep his head down in a submissive way but gently. When the hens came over, he tried to hold his head high and I wouldn't let him. He never tried to be aggressive with me. I'm hoping this works because my boyfriend's mother lives with us and she is all upset about him going after her. I left him in the house with some guineas today so that I can catch him easier. I also looked at his spurs and they are not sharp yet... is this a good time to do the potato method? Also, how often do you have to do that? Will they get smaller over time? Thanks for all the help
smile.png

Just because you get him to submit to you doesn't mean he will submit to all humans. I have a human aggressive roo that I trained not to bother me. I recently went on a vacation and had a house sitter taking care of my animals. The house sitter was absolutely terrorized by the roo. No amount of rebuffing would get that roo to stop attacking. It got so bad that the house sitter couldn't even enter the coop. He would snatch the waterer out to refill and then toss some food at the feeder, all the while holding the roo at bay with a stick and shield. This was the final straw for my roo. He's gone ASAP.

Human aggressive roos that are trained to not attack their caregivers generally choose their targets more wisely in the future, but will remain human aggressive. Something to think about in regards to your boyfriend's mother.

Good luck.

i have had several like that. i did the carrying trick and it worked, he kept trying to peck my hands,so i covered them with lemon juice, it worked

I know that there are many methods people have for calming roosters, this is what worked for me. I make sure mine knows that I'm not anything worth fighting, that people are not competition for him, and that we are only a source of food. I got him at 3 months old so he did not grow up with me. I do hold him couple of times a week, but i don't care if he holds his head up, I'm not trying to make him submit, but I take him away from the hens in the garage or sometimes in the house. Then I sit down with a nice treat like corn or grapes and I feed him these one at a time for about ten minutes. Then I'll take him back out to his girls. I've been doing this for months and he still doesn't like being picked up but once I have him he tolerates it. Usually I'll do this soon after they get on the roost, much easier to get him then because yes, I would never be able to catch him. It has worked great for me, he's not friendly, but he's not aggressive he walks up to people when they are outside but that's just because he wants a treat. Now I realize that this may not work for every Roo, and don't get me wrong if it didn't work, he'd be gone! But for me, this works better than battling a Roo everyday. I'm not knocking anyone elses methods, I'm just saying this works for me. Good Luck!

I've read all this stuff about taking spurs off with a hot potato etc. and, I think if I have to de-spur anyone I'm going to just round 'em off with my Dremel tool, because if they're removed with the hot potato, you just get tiny but very sharp spurs again. Kinda like ... choosing to get clawed by dull dog claws rather than sharp little kitten claws.

I used a net that I think is what's called a "landing net" for fishing, to catch chickens with. They don't like it, but it works.

Of course I think the best advice is, put a sock on his head!

My rooster (Foghorn) is about 10 months old. I've been catching him in the chicken/guinea house and carrying him around while I do simple things in the barnyard. I tried offering him millet once but he was uninterested... maybe another treat would entice him. I am a little worried about how he will be around other people even if he doesn't act aggressive towards me. So far... on Day 4 of Remedial Roo Training... he has not made an aggressive move towards me or my boyfriend... not even allowing him around my boyfriend's mom yet. When we're at work, I'm just leaving everyone in... they have a yard to get outside, just not free ranging... then when we get home, everyone can come out for evening chores.
As far as spurs... dremeling may be something to try... they are not sharp yet but I'm watching them close.
Does anyone find that certain breeds have more aggressive roosters? Foghorn is a New Hampshire I think but not sure.
Thanks again for all the help... I'm really hoping things will work out.

Back
Top Bottom