Attention: clear roofing owners

Quote:
Just a side note, dunno if you can do it or not, but you should really get the building up off the ground. T-111 (the siding) will rot away quickly when exposed to water. Since it appears in the picture to be sitting right on the ground, the bottoms of the siding could be sitting in wet soil. If you cant raise the building, at least dig around the bottom of it so the siding as a couple of inches between it and the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

I found a really nifty old reprinted article about building a greenhouse - and it explains a lot about angles, sun, storing heat - --- and how to keep it from getting too hot. Some of this stuff might translate into info that might help with your coop idea for allowing more sun in during winter. Hope it helps:

http://www.survivalplus.com/foods/page0009.htm

Quote:
they sell it in the garden dept at home depot near the weed block. it's sell by foot and comes in black, green and an off white

FutureChickenMan,

You're right ... the siding can rot away. However, the house is sitting on 4x4 treated columns set in concrete. We extended the siding below soil level deliberately to help in preventing encroachment under the walls by predators. If they access the underside of the structure, they could have access to the inside of the pen. But here in our part of Colorado, the climate is extremely dry and most wood products take many years to degrade. We decided the trade-off was acceptable. We should also mention that chicken wire is buried in the soil below those walls, and around the perimeter of the enclosed pen, down to 15" and out about a foot.

Quote:
Good deal. I just saw that siding on the ground and thought oh no! But it sounds like you put a lot of thought in it. Up in my parts I get snow that piles up and that would be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom