Attention poop board users!

midd2005

Chirping
9 Years
May 22, 2010
Oahu
what did you cover your poop board with? nothing, just the wood? rolled linoleum? prime and paint? pictures are always helpful!

i know some people use trays, but i'm definitely going to be using a board so i am most interested in what poop board people used and what works best to protect it and make it easiest to clean.

i'm going to have about a 3x5' poop board, so it's not a super small space nor is it huge. i've been thinking i'll do some kind of linoleum -whatever is cheapest at HD i guess. i've never installed it before, but it seem like a pretty simple glue and stick process. is it more complicated than i think?

Our poop board is plywood. I always use a layer of DE and Stall Dry on it to keep the fluids dried up. It seems to working. We made to poop boards just wide enough to be able to use our big dust pan to scoop the poop.

If you use linoeum I would not only glue it down, but also staple it down. It will be more secure that way. Sometimes the glue doesn't seem to want to stick to some surfaces, especially with cheep vinyl squares .

If you use linoeum I would not only glue it down, but also staple it down. It will be more secure that way. Sometimes the glue doesn't seem to want to stick to some surfaces, especially with cheep vinyl squares .

but if i staple, won't i just lose that whole smooth, easily cleanable surface, which is the whole point in using linoleum anyway?​

I used a sheet of really thin masonite type paneling sold at home depot and lowes laid on top of scrap plywood. That way I just slide the paneling out whenever I want to hose it off (I scrape it daily w/a plastic putty knife).

37862_chickens_11_weeks_008.jpg

PS...it's the same stuff I have on my walls in this picture....

Last edited:
I think it depends on how you plan to use the board. Some people scrape the droppings off with a putty knife or some such thing into a bucket daily, so there's not much need for shavings, etc. on the board. Some people make the board removeable so they can dump/scrape it off straight into into their composter (in which case it's good to pick a board that's light).

Other people put some kind of absorbent material on the board and let the droppings accumulate there for a while before clean up.

I have a vinyl floor in my kitchen, and although I've never had to clean chicken poop off it (so far), I have had to clean other wet, sticky materials. Based on that experience, I'd use a high gloss latex paint on the poop board instead of the vinyl tiles. I think a slick paint surface would be easier to clean, certainly it would be easier to apply than tiles, and when it gets all nasty with time, you can simply sand the board down a bit and repaint it so it looks like new again.

Quote:
We don't use poop boards here, but I would say that sounds like a very good idea. Especially since, if your like me and like to change things on occasion, when it gets nasty looking and you sand it down you can repaint it into a different color! Which reminds me, I should probably sand down the roosts slightly and do the same thing so I can clean them off easier.

We currently have three coops with poop boards. One uses vinyl stick down tiles, one uses a scrap of roll linoleum and the third used recylced bathroom wall panels. Of the three, the roll linoleum is by far my favorite.

I'm putting linoleum on the floor of my coop just to protect the plywood floor. I'll have extra so, from what I'm reading, I think I'll make a poop board as well. Does this go under the roost? One other question, my roost is bare wood, is painting it a good idea?
Thanks!

We were at Home Depot last night, again!, and they had 4ft beige kitchen counter tops marked down 75% for $9.75 each. Picked one up for another counter top in my new coup, but I would imagine they would work for those who want a poop board.

I really don't get why people want the poop board over the deep litter method. You stir the litter once a week, add the DE, two minutes and you are done. A couple times a year, you clean the house out and start over. What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom