Attention those who plan on ordering chicks from hatcheries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather has raised chickens for decades and has been getting them through the mail since the end of WWII. He's gotten chicks delivered every month of the calender and his comment was, "Luck of the draw."
hmm.png
If you start with healthy chicks and get postal employees who care then you'll get few deaders. Otherwise there are just toooooo many variables to place the blame all the time.

He once had 500 chicks arrive all dead, a week after they had been shipped. They had been "lost" by the postal service. That was a HUGE ick.
sad.png
sad.png

He also had the post office call him to come get chicks with undeliverable addresses so they wouldn't just die. That happened more than a few times. He was a hero to the postal folks even though they knew he was just goign to eat them eventually.
tongue.png

One of the last times I went to pick up chicks for him I had a postal serice employee who was a frothing animal rights person try and berate me for chick abuse for having them shipped. That didn't go over well. Long story short I got a formal letter of apology from the post master.

My own orders get delivered to the post office in town where my office is. The folks there are always delighted to see me. I'm not sure how much of their pleasure is seeing the chicks when I open the box or getting rid of the noise!
big_smile.png
They have always been very good about keeping the box in a warm office until I get there.

I guess expecting this to stay civil was childish on my part. I did not dig through most of those but I have read them when the weather was nice. ONE post the chicks clearly arrived 2 days after shipping and considering that the chicks are shipped 1 day old that is 3 to 4 days. Sometimes stuff happens, sometimes passions rise to exaggerations. It is the luck of the draw no matter when you order.

But accusing people of abuse by ordering when they need the chicks is flaming and some should really think before they post. Even if you think that implying it makes anymore fashionable.

One of the last times I went to pick up chicks for him I had a postal serice employee who was a frothing animal rights person try and berate me for chick abuse for having them shipped. That didn't go over well. Long story short I got a formal letter of apology from the post master.

Don't you just love those people no matter where you come across them.
wink.png

WW...I already know how you'll take this comment, but here goes anyway. It would seem to me that you're the only one getting bent out of shape and flaming on this thread. There's been alot of good advice given...you can take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Buster do you believe that the chicks are subjected to cruelty and the hatcheries and the customers are responsible? Are you not trying to tell people not to order because the chicks are suffering? What is the purpose really then? A simple discussion would be much more enjoyable without the heightened passions.

Where are you trying to go with this thread? Do you have a problem with the times that people order their chicks and why?

Quote:
I so did not know this!!!!!!!!!! I guess my first order with Ideal will also be my last.
hmm.png

I am not bent out of shape but the implications are clear. So if you are not "bent out of shape" you are then OK with us ordering when we please? I have no problems with your opinions and your decisions. Why question others?

Again I have accused no one directly and your post was just directed at me. Why?

Quote:
I was trying to suggest that waiting for warmer weather can be a good idea. I would hate to open a box of dead chicks. Chilling can and does kill chicks. Apparently you have a chip on your shoulder and are looking to be offended.

I am really tired of people who jump on informative threads with good information and troll to incite. I am asking for the mods to close this thread because Walking Wolf won't stop coming to it looking for an argument.

Folks, feel free to order in whatever time of year you want. I am just trying to give information to help you get the best results out of your shipment.

Quote:
True but it's not like they can't pass on the cost to the customer. I paid $20 for Express and heat pack. It's not like they are loosing any money on it.
I am not saying every hatchery should offer it. I am just saying as a customer you do have choices that may decrease the risk for your chicks. What's most effective in decreasing risk might really be more of a decision based on the situation.

Saying it's unsafe to ship now and safe to ship in a couple of months is not entirely true in my opinion.

Any time you ship animals you expose them to an increased risk of mishandling (shipping loss or damage, not being protected from heat or cold, etc.)
The only way to eliminate shipping risk is to simply not ship but then most of use would be stuck with unsexed chicks and many of us keep chickens with restrictions imposed on us (no roosters in subdivisions, etc.)

So unless somebody buys their chickens from 'the guy down the road' we all are somewhat in the same boat...

Offering Express service does increase costs. You now have to have
additional packaging, employees trained in processing, potential
additional ship times. Just by offering the service a company increases
costs and work loads, even if only 1% of people use it.

I completely agree with you on shipping always being a danger. I've
shipped a full grown bird and I cringed as I dropped it off. I send eggs
out to my friends here and even that can be disheartening.

We order from hatcheries also in addition to hatching lots of eggs. We
will be ordering next month. They will be coming from PA to CT in early
March. It's a risk I have to take if I want meat birds. The hatchery we
order from, jmhatchery.com, does offer Express service but his birds are
a higher end animal, not the typical Ideal or McMurray hatchery bird.

I don't see any disagreements here. We both know, and accept, the risks.

I am a bit confused here.. On this site I see over and over that chickens should be butchered at 10 weeks ?? why do you have to butcher in May? order for March delivery,,April,May, computes to ten weeks,right? just asking..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom