Attn Cochin People: Confused Rooster, hermaphrodite or what?

dct10

Songster
Aug 24, 2020
So we ordered a male and female Patridge Cochin from Mcmurray's last summer. Paid extra for sexing so assumed we'd have a mating pair at some point. As they grew. we could see little difference in their plummage. Now, 5 months old, we clearly have 2 roosters...or do we? One has grown an impressive comb and waddles and he exhibits classic Rooster behavior. The other however has smaller waddles and a straighter comb...but has the male markings. There's a notable difference in their behavior. The questionable bird typically behaves like and hangs out with the other hens and has never shown interest in mounting a hen. When one of the roosters calls the hens to food, this bird comes running with the other hens to investigate. I've never observed this bird crow or face down another rooster. Today I noticed this bird frequenting the coop while the others were in the run and tonight, he/she was in a nesting box. There's also a marked softer appearance to this birds face and eyes as compared to the obvious rooster. Is it possible for a hen to grow rooster-like plummage? Very confusing. Any theories?

Attachments

• a1.png
    a1.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • a2.png
    a2.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • a3.png
    a3.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
So we ordered a male and female Patridge Cochin from Mcmurray's last summer. Paid extra for sexing so assumed we'd have a mating pair at some point. As they grew. we could see little difference in their plummage. Now, 5 months old, we clearly have 2 roosters...or do we? One has grown an impressive comb and waddles and he exhibits classic Rooster behavior. The other however has smaller waddles and a straighter comb...but has the male markings. There's a notable difference in their behavior. The questionable bird typically behaves like and hangs out with the other hens and has never shown interest in mounting a hen. When one of the roosters calls the hens to food, this bird comes running with the other hens to investigate. I've never observed this bird crow or face down another rooster. Today I noticed this bird frequenting the coop while the others were in the run and tonight, he/she was in a nesting box. There's also a marked softer appearance to this birds face and eyes as compared to the obvious rooster. Is it possible for a hen to grow rooster-like plummage? Very confusing. Any theories?
That's a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom