Attn: Omelet Run Owners

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi -

Quick question: How sturdy are the Omlet runs? I'm thinking of getting a small one - for a pen for 2 small chickens. I use a welded wire dog kennel for my big flock and love it! But it's a different brand, obviously. I have zero experience with Omlet products. And, yes, I will be adding hardware cloth.

(Yes, I know I can build one for cheaper, but I would rather just buy a pre-made one. Don't judge me - lol!)

I have an Omlet 9x9 walk in run. I started out with their low run that attaches to my Cube. I despise the short run - it's hard to get into. The WIR is pretty sturdy, but you'll need to add HWC and a TON of zip ties. The clips it comes with are annoying. Good to get it setup, but the zip ties are what will hold it tight. It come with a skirt which is very sturdy too. If you're in an area with a lot of wind like me, then plan on something to anchor it to the ground (other than the Omlet stakes). I use those screw in ground stakes and ratchet straps, and even with tarps on it in the winter, it has survived 75MPH winds. Also, I am not super handy, but I was able to build it almost entirely by myself. Took me a couple of days, but it's not super complicated to do.

I have an Omlet 9x9 walk in run. I started out with their low run that attaches to my Cube. I despise the short run - it's hard to get into. The WIR is pretty sturdy, but you'll need to add HWC and a TON of zip ties. The clips it comes with are annoying. Good to get it setup, but the zip ties are what will hold it tight. It come with a skirt which is very sturdy too. If you're in an area with a lot of wind like me, then plan on something to anchor it to the ground (other than the Omlet stakes). I use those screw in ground stakes and ratchet straps, and even with tarps on it in the winter, it has survived 75MPH winds. Also, I am not super handy, but I was able to build it almost entirely by myself. Took me a couple of days, but it's not super complicated to do.
Perfect! THIS is the info I needed! Thanks!

I'm actually thinking about getting one of the shorter ones, like the double height for guinea pigs. It's almost never windy here (thank goodness!) I just wasn't sure how sturdy it was.

Do you think hog rings will work to attach the hardware cloth?

Perfect! THIS is the info I needed! Thanks!

I'm actually thinking about getting one of the shorter ones, like the double height for guinea pigs. It's almost never windy here (thank goodness!) I just wasn't sure how sturdy it was.

Do you think hog rings will work to attach the hardware cloth?
I would think so? I guess I don’t see why not. I’m a zip tie fanatic so I’ve never considered anything else! I can take a close up picture tomorrow of how I have the HWC secured on mine if that would be helpful.

I would think so? I guess I don’t see why not. I’m a zip tie fanatic so I’ve never considered anything else! I can take a close up picture tomorrow of how I have the HWC secured on mine if that would be helpful.
If you don't mind, I'd really like to see that.

And zip ties are awesome! So freaking useful! I just prefer hog rings because they don't weaken with sun exposure.

Attached is a photo that shows the 2 types of clips they include vs a zip tie. The clips are great for a temporary hold while you get it all organized.

Attachments

• IMG_8722.JPG
    IMG_8722.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.44.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.44.24 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
I have recently found zip ties that are UV resistant at the hardware store.
Nice! I may have to see about those. Didn't even know they made ones like that!!! Those will be great for attaching a tarp. Thanks!!!

For the hardware cloth, I have hundreds of hog rings, so I'll use those.

I'm thinking about getting a 9' x 12' Omlet walk in run and using tarps all across the roof and to provide shelter on one end. We have a lot of wind here, so we'll need to anchor the run to the ground. Would you mind sharing a photo of how you've anchored your run? I'm not really sure what you mean by ground stakes and ratchet straps. Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking about getting a 9' x 12' Omlet walk in run and using tarps all across the roof and to provide shelter on one end. We have a lot of wind here, so we'll need to anchor the run to the ground. Would you mind sharing a photo of how you've anchored your run? I'm not really sure what you mean by ground stakes and ratchet straps. Thanks in advance!
Ground stakes = orange spirals in the photo.
Ratchet straps = yellow straps in photo.

I first used 2 orange stakes on either side of the run with 2 yellow traps running across the top of the run.

267775178_1615434648808286_1144224860556172941_n.jpeg

This was ugly, and probably wouldn't prevent the run from shearing sideways, and I like to overdo everything, so I now have the ground stakes on the *inside* of the run, one in each corner. Then a set of smaller ratchet straps connect the stakes making an X, flat against each side of the run. This holds it from blowing away and from shearing, depending on the wind direction. I don't have a good photo of this setup that I have now, but you get the idea.

When I was first building the WIR, I had started to put tarps on it, and it got late so I stopped for the day. The wind changed direction overnight (from S to N) and we had some crazy gusts, because I woke up to find my (unoccupied - chickens hadn't moved in yet) run about 80 ft away, and impaled on my garden fence. Was able to get it unstuck and my husband and I walked it back to where it was supposed to be. Amazingly, despite some damage that had to be bent back into shape and re-zip tied, it still is very sturdy! I think I only had one panel that was too warped to be usable anymore. And this story is why I know you need ground stakes and ratchet straps if you live in a windy area. 😆

I really do love the WIR, particularly how customizable it is. It's pretty easy to pop a panel out and connect or move a coop or attach another smaller run or tunnel. I've reconfigured mine several times in the 8 months or so that I've had it.

Back
Top Bottom