1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attracting crows for protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenWaddle, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ChickenWaddle

ChickenWaddle New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    We've had five chickens going on three years. We do have hawks in the area. The chickens roost at night inside a coop that is inside and 10' x 10' dog pen. We have 1" wire around the sides and on top of the pen. We also covered the pen so it stays somewhat dry.

We have hawks in the area and I was becoming concerned because the chickens free range about 6 hours a day.

Some mice and even a few rats started getting into the pen area, so I started trapping them. While doing so I came up with the idea of placing the dead mice in a certain spot every day. At first after a few days I'd have to discard some of the bodies, but after doing this for some time I now have crows waiting for me in the morning for the mice.

Haven't seen a hawk in the area for quite some time.

Oh, and I usually get 2-6 mice per day.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Wow! That's a lot of mice!

A lot of people say they also appreciate presents, like pieces of shiny things, ribbons, and such.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Huh......where are you located?

Interesting circle...not sure it's balanced.
    Hawks eat mice and rats.
    Crows keep hawks away.
    Trapped mice are keeping crows around.

Wonders how much chicken feed rodents are eating despite the trapping?

4. ChickenWaddle

ChickenWaddle New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    We are located in the Pacific Northwest.

Rodents only get our table scraps thrown into the pen, can't get at the chicken feed, we have it in tubes out of reach. Chickens get most of their food free ranging on our property.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I started feeding the crows several years ago as a warning/protecti9on for my pigeons. Every night after I feed my dogs they come to their 'feeding spot' and get the leftovers. They were a better warning system, but generally ineffective as protection after the Coopers hawks.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Crows are not likely to be effective enough unless they have nest close by and then it will be only while nests are active. I have them come in possibly daily but they are seldom present for more than 15 minutes. Red-shouldered Hawks spend more time here, about an hour, and they do chase off the problematic Coopers Hawks. Still not enough protection time from the larger wild birds because Coopers Hawks work around them by altering visit times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by