1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

August Death Toll

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sab, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    1 Trap - in the month of August:

3 coons
    1 skunk
    1 possum

Beat that!!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm glad it wasn't the chicken death toll! [​IMG]

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    We didn't trap anything. Well we have trapped the same coon twice, it was an odd one, just wanted to eat feed, and almost acted like someone kept it like a pet.
    Anyway, about a week after we released it the second time..there was a dead coon up the road, then another near the farm, then one down the road. In total over about a week or two there were 6 coons along the road sides. Saw a fox dead in the road right by the farm and birds about 2 weeks ago too [​IMG] and I saw another coon down the road today that was hit. lol, I have no idea why so many are here..or why they keep getting hit.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    1 possum

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    thankfully nothing yet. knock on wood [​IMG]

6. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

We deter, not kill. Buy a good fence and a true LGD. Predators will hunt elsewhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    One skunk. After avoiding the trap for 5 days it committed suicide by car out on the road.

8. FarmerMel

FarmerMel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Wow that is impressive. What did you use for bait? I had 4 chickens killed this month... Just found a bunch of feathers... [​IMG]

9. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    two coons and one possum and three cats that wouldn't stay away from the trap, after my husband sprayed the cats with the hose and soaked them down pretty good, no more cats:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by