*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

Quote:
#1 and #2 are clears (not fertile or never started growing) #3 is harder to tell from your picture. Could be a chick in there. Can you see any veining in egg #3? Is the shell porus and hard to see into?

there is no veining in #3 like their is in my others. It's a "blob" that sits closer to the top of the egg. (mine are laid on their side & rotated) With a very slight movement & I can feel it "slosh" inside, if that means anything?

Sloshy is a bad sign. I am incubating shipped eggs right now and only 4 started growing and two quit at day 3 and 11. The one that quit on day 11 sloshed around in the shell like partically set jello and showed no veining, so I new it had died. When the chick dies the first thing that happens is that the blood drains out of the veins.
Sorry
hugs.gif

Well it looks like I only have two viable eggs out of the 9. However my hen who I knew was laying some where but could not figure it out donated 13 eggs. I found her clutch in our old coop. She shimmied in to a small space in the gate and layed the eggs. LOL.
I have no idea how old they are. She is a cochin and Only lays about 5 eggs a week so "who knows". These will be standard white hen on blue roo Cochins. I just put them in the bator as a test.

Last edited:
As it sits now, after hearing what chickee had to say, out of 24 shipped & fertilized eggs, I now have 9 still going, one is cracked/thriving but not sure if it will make it & 3 I'm going to give until late tonight to decide on. I was hoping for at least a 50% hatch rate. Now I'm scared I'm going to do something wrong with the rest.

I read hatch date is in 14 and 22 days for chickens. Which one is it? I thought it was 20-22 days? I put in on the 22nd. I'm getting scared now. Is there an emotional stage level to incubation? Stage 1: Calm Stage 2: Curious Stage 3: Excitement, etc? Where does scared fit in?
hide.gif

Quote:
My chicks always start pipping on day 21. I am using a Genesis 1588 incubator. Sometimes it depends on the breed of chicken. Mostly it has to do with your temps. Higher temps, chicks hatch on day 19-20 and lower temps day 21-23. I feel the most anxiety on first candling and when the chicks start hatching. What a big let down when you first candle and end up throwing out all but 4 eggs like I did this time!
barnie.gif
and then you try to do everything right for 21 days and hatch day is the moment of truth~ whether you DID do everything right or not!!
fl.gif
and then some of your eggs don't hatch or die trying and you KNOW you didn't do it right~ That is when you are sad, BUT then you start looking at the cute babies that did hatch
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
and you are in love
love.gif
and everything is HAPPY again!
celebrate.gif

I have turken eggs in and 4 of my own eggs (I believe will be 1 RIR/BO cross and the others RIR/Golden Comet crosses).

I started with 13 turken eggs, down to 7 as of lastnight. Had to remove 4 clears and 6 with blood spots...they were obviously not moving/normal.

This time I seriously doubt its operator error as Im running a Brinsea octagon 20 eco and have been following the mfg instructions to a T, as well as the temp hasnt budged at all!

I am noticing, the eggs that are mine and werent shipped, have much nicer looking air cells.

EHD's"
turkens 8/6
my own 8/7 and 8/9

Im awaiting blue turken eggs. So will have another hatch later in Aug. After that, I think Im going to stick with my own eggs for hatching! I just dont have but a few that I want to breed/hatch that are old enough and laying right now. Guessing Im going to wait till next spring to hatch my RIR/RIW's (the RIW's are only about a month old right now). And might hatch some production blacks this fall.

I also have my new to me brinsea octagon 10 and brinsea hatchmaker up and running. The oct 10 has been running for a week. No eggs in either!! (my dh said I was a nerd..lol) I ought to have them good and figured out by the time I have some eggs for them. I will be using the hatchmaker as a hatcher with the turken eggs.

Last edited:
My last July eggs are in the hatcher! Three bantams, 21 days is tomorrow so I'm considering it an August hatch instead of July. One egg is working on pipping the membrane, the other two show no sign of anything yet but I'm still hopeful! One chick would be better than none out of the bantams.

Well, after reading about the sloshing eggs...I decided to candle mine and see if I had any sloshers. Turns out I now have 58 left out of the original 80. Ugh! So much for hoping for a bunch of little quail running around. However, I have started seeing a few veins in some of them, it's good news, but they are so hard to see into! The spots just make it difficult sometimes. LOL! My 3 bantie eggs that I placed in there to determine fertility are all doing very well and they all had heartbeats and wonderful veining.
wee.gif
Let's just hope the quail do better and that I don't have to cull many more of them come 10-11 days.
hide.gif

NaomiSarah, good luck on the bantie eggs!
fl.gif
that you have a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom