*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

I candled the golden lakenvelder eggs... again. I had candled them at Day 2 (I have an ultra bright candling light and I can usually see by day 2 or 3 which are going.... but I leave them in for a while longer just to be sure) but I had thought that all of them were clear. Bummer! I left them in just in case. Today was day... 5? 6? I candled again and spied an egg I had missed candling before- and it was growing! Of the other nine, 8 were 'clear' or looked like they had blood rings. I pulled them out and sure enough.... 3 blood rings, 4 clears, and 1 that looked like it had started, gotten maybe a day of growth... MAYBE 2.... and then got eaten by bacteria
hmm.png
It was sloshy and the yolk was clearly broken when I shifted it in my hand while candling, and the membrane sloughed right off the inside of the egg when I cracked it. How depressing!

On the bright side.... I have a lakenvelder growing!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Sorry
hugs.gif
I know exactly how you feel
hit.gif
Only two of my 16 shipped eggs made it to lockdown. 11 of mine were clear and when I cracked them open to see why, they didn't look fertile
rant.gif
If the two eggs hatch Thursday, they will be some expensive Ameraucana chicks
he.gif

Quote:
Congrats on your Lakenvelder egg!
clap.gif
Did you take pictures of the eggs that didn't make it for your eggtopsy thread? Did the egg with a day of growth look like the two eggs I told you about that had an oval of blood deep in the yoke? Hope you put a picture of it on your thread so I can see what it looks like to compare to my two eggs
fl.gif

I set 21 jersey giant eggs in my incubator on the 17th of July. July24th is day 7 and I removed 2 eggs. 1 was infertile and the other had a blood ring. On July 31 is day 14 and all 19 eggs are continuing to develop well. Now today is August 4th wich is day 18 and I will remove my eggs from th turner and look forward to their hatching over the weekend. i will keep you posted with pictures.

I have one little hatchling. He is black with black feet and a yellow spot on his chest. I say he but could be a her. The other 12 eggs are still making me wait. I have taken some pics but are not to good so will wait till I can take them out. Can my new guy come out once fluffed up..even if it means opening the incubator or should I wait and for how long. thanks We have four more pips.....YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hiya everyone, I will join this
big_smile.png
set my eggs yesterday.... so today is day 1.... oh I so cant wait to see if any hatch... 21 days is far to long
lau.gif
good luck everyone, I hope you get a great hatch rate
thumbsup.gif

Woohoo! I couldn't wait and candled my eggs after 96 hours in the bator. Strangely enough, my shipped eggs are doing better than my local eggs- however the local eggs are still too close to call as they are brown and hard to see into. Same with my green eggs from a BYC'er - definitely a few are coming up but not positive on the others. I'll candle once more at 7 days to recheck.

However, on my tiny little silkie eggs which are in the vast majority - shipped from a byc'er - after 96 hours: Out of 36 eggs, I have two definite clears, four 'not sure or too dark' and 30 with embryos! Of course, I know a lot of these may not make it to the endgame, but it's still pretty neat.
smile.png

It's pretty safe to toss definite clears when I recheck at 7 days, right? I'd keep the 'maybe' eggs in longer, but I wanna avoid egg bombs in my nice brinsea if I can!
smile.png

Quote:
I did not, but I should have. It was just so late at night and I was so mad at tossing so many that I didn't even think about it. But I will say- there was a small starter vein (about 1/2 an inch) with 2-3 smaller branches off from it (about 1/5 an inch each). The inner membrane had turned opaque white and there was a tiny clear dot where the embryo would have started to grow. Above all that was a big, thick, red, smelly ring of bacterial growth. In one of the 'clears' that was not infertile, it looked as if someone had poked it in a bunch of different places (maybe 10 places on 1 side!) with white and clear markers- like it had tried to start in all those different places and just died every time. I have NEVER seen that happen. In another, there was an air cell trapped INSIDE the yolk. Thinking about it now, I REALLY should have gotten pictures >.<

Quote:
congrats one the new chick, i think that as long as you have pips your suppose to leave the lid shut so you dont shrink wrap the ones trying to get out. i finally have a pip
wee.gif
and of course its not the one that's been wiggling for the past few days
he.gif

this is me and my girls
pop.gif
waiting.

Okay, this morning the Brinsea display said "Day 3" so I guess I'm in lockdown now. I saw the humidity was down - GASP! to 40% - so I added water to both reservoirs as the instructions indicated for the last 3 days. The turner indicator was still twirling, so I guess it will stop turning some time today whilst I'm at work.

I bet none of those eggs will hatch. I'm sure they are wonderful eggs, but this IS my first attempt at incubation so I'm just positive this will be a dry run. (I'd rather be surprised by good results than disappointed by unrealistic expectations.)

It's been very easy to ignore the incubator in the guest room. I've actually checked it only every other day or so until yesterday, when I knew it was approaching the end of the process. Now I'm fighting excitement - remember, they probably won't hatch, Linda! - and will have to stay OUT of that guest room except for ONE check on the humidity tonight, and tomorrow, and .... maybe I should call in sick on Friday???????

J/K. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom