*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

I just candled and the chick has grown and it was all moving around!
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Lockdown is today, for hopeful hatch on Saturday! I've already taken out the turner and candled all the eggs, but will wait on upping the humidity for a few hours - I started them at 4AM and I know they take a few hours to heat up and start cooking. However, temps in my house were 80+ so I doubt they took that long to heat up.

Pulled one quitter out today and there's one I am pretty sure is dead but not sure enough to toss. Not counting clears, I have 42 eggs going into lockdown out of 49 eggs, most of which were shipped. The other seven eggs were blood rings or later quitters. All eggs except one show good veins and movement so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I have four blue orpington eggs (local), four JG eggs (local), 9 Olive egger eggs (shipped - one doz/3 clear), and the rest are silkies. Whee!

Keep your fingers crossed that something hatches for me.

Got my first ever pip yesterday! Checked on it this morning and it's slightly larger, but can't see in quite yet. I think this was a transplant egg from the LG to the Brinsea (had one quitter on the Brinsea so I swapped it out).

Noob question of the day: I have two eggs that were left in the LG. The one is chirpping like crazy but hasn't pipped yet. Is that a normal thing? I guess I was thinking they wouldn't start really making noise until after they had pipped.

I'm a little worried. I have 3 hens that have decided that September is the perfect time to have chicks hatching. One started setting last week, and the other 2 just started yesterday. Should I take the eggs and hatch them inside-----don't have an incubator, just a 10-gal. aquarium and a reflector light-----or just let the hens do their thing? I really didn't want any more babies in the house this year! The aquarium thing is very primitive, I know, but I have hatched chicks in the past this way with no problem. I could let the hens set until the eggs hatch, and then take the chicks inside. Any advice?
hmm.png

orionburn-----I have had them chirp while I was candling on lockdown day, lol. Startled me so much the first time I almost dropped the egg. Right now I have quail eggs on lockdown, no visible pips yet, but it sounded like I have a bator full of crickets this morning as I walked by it.
lol.png
Good luck with your fluffs.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck Mrs. Fluffy!!!!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

conroy----I would see about getting a couple of chicks to go with it, if you can find any right now. I know none of our feed stores carry them this time of year, but if was me, I'd try to find at least one......

HAPPY HATCHING EVERYONE, GOT MY FINGERS CROSSED FOR EACH OF YOU!!!!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

It looks like only one of he original four eggs is good .... this is our first hatch ever!!! We are so excited.... please meet Boadicea
ducksandchickens008.jpg

conroy, please disregard my post. I read your post wrong. Guess I need more coffee, lol. Didn't realize your hen hatched the egg, lol. Beautiful pic, tho, mom and babe
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom