*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

Okay - My one chicken egg that was suppost to hatch today didn't and at the bottom there is a small hair line crack. It doesn't look like it zipped - it looks more like a rotten egg about to pop!
sickbyc.gif
So I candled it and I couldn't see anything in the egg. So there has to be a chick in there! How long should I wait for it to hatch. ( It's a Bantam egg if that helps any? )

so far out of the 9 we are down to 2 eggs all other eggs were duds , we did eggtopy and none of them made it to day 14 just quit on us. 2 are developed and I am hoping for the best.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Okay - My one chicken egg that was suppost to hatch today didn't and at the bottom there is a small hair line crack. It doesn't look like it zipped - it looks more like a rotten egg about to pop!
sickbyc.gif
So I candled it and I couldn't see anything in the egg. So there has to be a chick in there! How long should I wait for it to hatch. ( It's a Bantam egg if that helps any? )

There are many that wait up until day 25 or 26. I would wait !!

Good luck!​

Help !! today I went out to check on my broody girl and her 7 eggs as always! We are on day 19!
ya.gif

I go out and insepect to ensure no one else has added any eggs to her clutch and just to glance at eggs any chance I get LOL!!!
this evening I went out and found this one egg due to hatch tuesday!!
Here is what I found was there possibly something wrong with this chix and she knew it or what? I dont know y this was done!

None of my other girls EVER mess w/ the eggs they lay with her and add eggs to her clutch but never had this!! HELP
hit.gif

63221_chix_008_sm.jpg

I brought the egg in put it in bator w/ sponges an wet paper towel over the membrane went back to inspect and there was NO movement!
th.gif

Do you see anything wrong??
63221_sm.jpg

63221_chix_012_sm.jpg

does the hole near the umbilical close up once the chix takes in the yolk or is this the problem?

sorry for all the ?? but this is 1st time for me and it puzzles me and makes me sad
hit.gif

here is the 2nd baby it got crushed and was still alive when I found it but later died so now my broody is in the house! with the remaining 5 eggs
63221_chix_014.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Featherz I candeled last yesterday (weeee hours sat morning) and today sunday she did this around 8pm I have no clue

Is the umbilical like this on every fuzzy butt until they take in the yolk and dry out?

Thank you

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think 55-60% humidity is usually WAY too high for chicken eggs.... 30-40% should be where they are through incubation, up till lockdown. Still, sorry to hear of your loss
sad.png
Always sucks to lose them that close to hatching.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

sickbyc.gif

I wouldn't count on this egg being a chick. I had a duck egg that was full of darkness and I would have sworn to you that it was a chick. When I cracked it open days after it was due, this is what I found (NOT for the faint of heart!): http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4806423712_e75703a9d3.jpg

Not
saying you will find this, but if it looks like there's something wrong like that crack, it's always possible. Good luck with this one...

Quote:
Yes, that whole yolk has to fit through that hole and then the belly closes- there is no umbilical cord and what people will sometimes talk about (ie: omg my chick has an umbilical cord attached to this sack I think is the yolk) is in fact NOT an umbilical cord at all. The 'yolk' that many people observe after hatching is not the yolk at all, but a sack of excrement that the chick does not need or need to be attached to. The chick looks all right, but it's NOT a chick at day 19. I would say day 16-17 at most, and your mom hen probably knew it. If these are bantam eggs, then day 15 most likely. If you take a look at the eggtopsy thread you can see pictures of the various stages of development in eggs that have died.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think 55-60% humidity is usually WAY too high for chicken eggs.... 30-40% should be where they are through incubation, up till lockdown. Still, sorry to hear of your loss
sad.png
Always sucks to lose them that close to hatching.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

sickbyc.gif

I wouldn't count on this egg being a chick. I had a duck egg that was full of darkness and I would have sworn to you that it was a chick. When I cracked it open days after it was due, this is what I found (NOT for the faint of heart!): http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4806423712_e75703a9d3.jpg

Not
saying you will find this, but if it looks like there's something wrong like that crack, it's always possible. Good luck with this one...

Quote:
Yes, that whole yolk has to fit through that hole and then the belly closes- there is no umbilical cord and what people will sometimes talk about (ie: omg my chick has an umbilical cord attached to this sack I think is the yolk) is in fact NOT an umbilical cord at all. The 'yolk' that many people observe after hatching is not the yolk at all, but a sack of excrement that the chick does not need or need to be attached to. The chick looks all right, but it's NOT a chick at day 19. I would say day 16-17 at most, and your mom hen probably knew it. If these are bantam eggs, then day 15 most likely. If you take a look at the eggtopsy thread you can see pictures of the various stages of development in eggs that have died.

I was not for sure what to call the sac
All the other 6 eggs seem to be fine Although I did not take them away from my broody. I am concerned that if I take them away I will have trouble adding the babies into my flock. I do not want to build another coop ! So I am worried I figured if they were born into the flock it would be a lil bit easier for them! Is this DUMB thinking?​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom