Australian brown rats

ask @Chookwagn about ferrets

bad idea.

Anybody you know have a terrier you can borrow for some rat hunts?
As said above "bad idea" to get ferrets....

I would bait a live trap with an egg, rats are a bit cunning for a kill trap.... although I saw a good one the other day that resets itself.... ill find and post the link

I have had Australian brown rats in my "coop" for years and I have tried traps, poison and even deterrents and nothing seems to work they avoid the traps don't eat the poison and they have huge nests I found 3 of them while I was cleaning and they were the size of the bottom of a garbage can. Is there any way to get rid of them they are everywhere I had one in a trap that was huge it was the size of a baby groundhog. I don't know how big they all are but I think they are all huge.

I don't think it's an Aussie. Native rats steer clear from human habitations and are not nearly as large as the feral introduced ones. In fact it's the feral rats in Australia that's destroying the native rat population here. There's a project here to repopulate native rats in several places by destroying the feral population first.

Ferrets you can have in Australia my pop an uncle use to have them for catching rabbits, they run down the burrow and get em out.

As for brown rats, had em around, traps worked, cat also killed em and left dead bodies around which chickens then ate.

Like someone said Ferrets may attack chickens and harder to train then a dog, dogs are more effort to look after then cat. Just get... A kitty. Or keep trying better trapz.

Back
Top Bottom