Australian Newbie

kittyhelene

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
Western Australia
Hi,

I'm Kitty, from the southern region of Western Australia.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? (2) How many chickens do you have right now? (3) What breeds do you have?

I never had my own chickens but my partner, Dave, has grown up with them and has his own flock. He's been living and working on a dairy farm for a few years now and when I moved to the farm he had about 10 chickens, two roosters, and one duck (I named the duck Duquanda, as in "the one duck"). Our two roosters are no longer with us.

The dairy boss has his own flock and we've acquired seven new chickens from him, and after about a year of nagging, Dave allowed me to get some more ducks. We got four appleyard ducklings, but sadly they escaped one night and we only recovered three.

So we have a total of four ducks (three appleyard, one khaki campbell), and 17 hens (11 bantams and 6 ISA Browns

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Looking for coop designs.

Ours is pretty basic and after heavy rains this winter, about 80% of it flooded, which was la hit with Duquanda, but not so popular with the chickens.

So I googled, and google led me to BYC

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, cooking, riding my vintage bicycle around the farm.

I like to do a bit of gardening but I'm not very good at keeping plants alive. We've recently transplanted our fruit trees into the ground and planted herbs and vegetables in their half wine barrels. Currently, we have seven fruit trees; an existing lemon, an existing fig, an existing apple tree (I'm unsure of the variety), a double-graft apple (a red and green variety grafted onto one root stock), a mandarin, a peach and an apricot. I'd like to get at least a cherry tree, a plum tree, and possibly some more exotic fruits such as guava and finger limes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Just Dave and I at present, with our menagerie.

Two dogs, both border collie crosses. JJ or Jasper Junior is almost four BC x long-haired red cloud kelpie, Belle is almost three, BC x short-haired huntaway miniature). When I moved to the farm, my dad commandeered my seven-year-old long-haired BC x Kelpie, Elly, because he was really lonely and Elly enjoys being a spoilt, only-child, indoor dog. Besides, all she does at the farm is roll in cow pat.

One miniature tiger-leopard. Well, she's a cat, but has a tiger tail and leopard spots. She was given to Dave before I met him, as a joke and was named "Craybait". Despite the name, we are both incredibly fond of her and she's not a particularly catty cat.

One budgie, Cheeky Monkey. Enjoys vegetable tempura and sandwiches. Does not like bourbon. (He's the silly bird that keeps flying into our food and drinks).

Our poultry collection as mentioned above, a few goldfish, a couple of marron (Dave's yet to be successful breeding program), oh and a few hundred Friesian cows (technically not ours, but I like to claim them).

I work at a country pub, one night I work as a waitress, one night as a barmaid, and two-three days I do the book-keeping/accounting. As mentioned, Dave is a dairy farmer

welcome-byc.gif
There are two Aussie threads on BYC - "Australia, six states and one funny little island," and "Australians, where are you."

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a lot going on with all the plants and animals, nice collection of fruit trees you have started.

Just an update.

Sad news, our budgie, Cheeky Monkey, got taken out of the air mid-flight on Christmas morning by Cray-bait. The cat was not spoken to for a few weeks, but we have now forgiven her, seeing as she was only doing what is natural. CM now rests in the wine barrel with the tomatoes.

We have a few new additions. Firstly, a beta fish we have named Thor, lives in a giant brandy ballon shaped bowl. He generally hangs out in the "library" - the spare room with all our books, it's nice and bright in there. He always swims straight over when I go in to feed him his bloodworms. Some days he comes out and sits on the mantlepiece, but our loungeroom is a bit gloomy and we have to be wary of the cat.

Two of our new bantams turned out to be roosters, Spartacus and Zues. Oh and one of the ducks is a drake, I think I love him the best, with his funny hiss and docile nature. His head feathers are coming through a lovely dark green. On the duck note, I think they may be miniature silver appleyards, but they're only about four and a half months old, so I'm not sure if they'll get any bigger or not.

We lost an ISA brown, Dave said they're getting on a bit, their egg production has dropped dramatically. We decided to let the remaining five retire and picked up four more ISA brown hens that have just finished moulting, so we should be back on track soon.

The weather has been a bit odd lately. It's mid-summer and we've has some scorching hot days but the nights have been unseasonably cool, and we even had a downpour last Wednesday night. This odd weather seems to affect our girls, two days ago I got six eggs and haven't got one since.

Plans have been drawn up for the chicken run extension, including a pretty sweet and roomy indoor area. Trying to nab free or cheap building materials so as to reuse and recycle, but we do have a few hundred dollars in hardware vouchers from Christmas to pick up anything else we need. Renovations are happening at the pub where I work and I picked up eight solid old school wooden doors, two with glass panels for free, which I'm planning to use for the coop.

I've been reading Wifezilla's Duckponics thread and the cogs are turning inside my head, with ideas for a duck pond. But we'll get the enclosure done before I start anything else.

All of our feathered friends have been really developing their personalities and most now have names. Will post some pictures soon showing who's who.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom