Australian Shepherd as a Poultry guard dog?

The couple of aussies I have had did really well with my chickens but were not guardian's in any sense of the word! Mine just did not have the guarding/territorial instinct at all. They were very gentle, motherly dogs with my birds and all our other animals though.

Now my current ranch dog is a border collie/queensland mix and she is a great guard dog. She tolerates nothing on her property and that includes stray dogs, fox, coyote, feral cats, etc. but she is fine with my birds and other animals that she knows belong here.

I have an aussie puppy that is about 5 months old that we have been raising with my birds. The herding instinct is so strong in that breed, even at his age. He doesn't bite at them or anything but he just can't resist the urge to herd them together. My chickens hate it lol. I go to give them scraps and here comes Ace circling the flock getting every one together. Even though I don't think he will hurt them, I still don't trust him alone with them yet. No fatalities yet and planning on keeping it that way. He has plenty of cattle that he can help us herd when he gets older =]

So maybe I should invest in a border collie?
Lol, if you can tolerate one! Their intelligence as well as their energy level is through the roof! I consider them super easy to train because of that but you do have to stay a step ahead. Really quick little brains in those fuzzy heads! If you can keep one adequately busy and have time to spend with it then by all means. They certainly are a go-all-day kind of dog, there is just no quit in them. Mine is mixed with Queensland Heeler which is where I think she may get a little more of her territorial instinct from.

Lol, if you can tolerate one! Their intelligence as well as their energy level is through the roof! I consider them super easy to train because of that but you do have to stay a step ahead. Really quick little brains in those fuzzy heads! If you can keep one adequately busy and have time to spend with it then by all means. They certainly are a go-all-day kind of dog, there is just no quit in them. Mine is mixed with Queensland Heeler which is where I think she may get a little more of her territorial instinct from.
Was she introduced as a puppy?
Was she hard to train?

I have a full size Australian shepard, is very intelligent. Never has bothered the chickens. She goes down with me every morning, but mostly she ignores the chickens and they ignore her. She is not a guard dog. She loves to work cattle with my hubby, and she loves to run, miles each day on the feed route. She does not even bark when someone drives in. She is a fabulous ranch dog, she is the second one we have had. Very calm, very trainable, very well mannered, but not a guard dog.

I agree cafarmgirl. Border Collies are definitely not for everyone! Too much energy for most people. I also agree that the heeler brought in the protective instinct. I have a girlfriend that raises them with her sheep and they are very protective and also very intelligent dogs.

Back
Top Bottom