I think I'm somewhat back to wanting an Aussie LOL was talking with FSIL about dogs today for some reason and mentioning all my ideas (retriever, terrier, aussie) and idk, she's saying Aussies are pretty small but mostly was saying how smart and trainable they are and how theirs herded people but he was so smart and listened the first time, didn't have to tell him twice, unlike the Pyrs and how his trick routine, eventually he just started doing all the tricks when they pulled a treat out cause he knew the routine lol he'd sit, down, roll over, i think go back to a sit, and speak. And that's just like adorable and she said he wasn't really too protective. And idk. They seem great and a perfect size. Not quite as big as a Lab or Golden but not a "little dog" either lol

Aussies range from 45 to 85 pounds. So not all are smaller. Breeding is all over the place as far as coats and sizes. There is no standard weight for Australian shepherds. My one is 50 pounds and my other is around 80 pounds, my last show bred Aussie also was around 80 pounds.

Most are smart but without enough exercise some can be a pain. I follow a few Facebook groups and lots of complaints about them barking, biting, and generally being trouble. They can be frustrating to housebreak too for some reason.

It pays to know the worse as well as the good. They are definitely a challenging breed sometimes, but they are also good dogs.

From your list of breeds the retrievers will be the most biddable, they are bred to work with humans. Aussies are the most clownish, they are bred to think for themselves which sometimes can be challenging, and terriers can be the most stubborn, and are more prey driven, but there are different degrees of terriers. All 3 choice can be big barkers, and destructive when young if not exercised well.

Either choice will keep you busy for a year or two as they mature and settle when gotten as puppies.

Aussies range from 45 to 85 pounds. So not all are smaller. Breeding is all over the place as far as coats and sizes. There is no standard weight for Australian shepherds. My one is 50 pounds and my other is around 80 pounds, my last show bred Aussie also was around 80 pounds.

Most are smart but without enough exercise some can be a pain. I follow a few Facebook groups and lots of complaints about them barking, biting, and generally being trouble. They can be frustrating to housebreak too for some reason.

It pays to know the worse as well as the good. They are definitely a challenging breed sometimes, but they are also good dogs.

From your list of breeds the retrievers will be the most biddable, they are bred to work with humans. Aussies are the most clownish, they are bred to think for themselves which sometimes can be challenging, and terriers can be the most stubborn, and are more prey driven, but there are different degrees of terriers. All 3 choice can be big barkers, and destructive when young if not exercised well.

Either choice will keep you busy for a year or two as they mature and settle when gotten as puppies.

Thanks for all the info!! I didn't realize they could get so big!! I do plan to do extensive training and socialization beyond just basic obedience, like lots of classes and such, so hopefully that would curb some of the bad behavior but they definitely seem very active. I would probably hike a lot though and possibly get into nosework or something

We always had Border Collies growing up. They were so sweet, smart, and loyal. Like most working dogs, they tend to be a bit hyper and driven, but i still find them to be less so than aussies. I do prefer the color variations of aussies tho. I'm fond of unique coloring in all animals. Appaloosas are my favorite horse breed for this reason, longhorn genes in cattle for this reason, EE chickens for this reason, etc. So of course dog breeds with unique coloring abilities too.

We always had Border Collies growing up. They were so sweet, smart, and loyal. Like most working dogs, they tend to be a bit hyper and driven, but i still find them to be less so than aussies. I do prefer the color variations of aussies tho. I'm fond of unique coloring in all animals. Appaloosas are my favorite horse breed for this reason, longhorn genes in cattle for this reason, EE chickens for this reason, etc. So of course dog breeds with unique coloring abilities too.
I love Border Collies! Surprised they’re less hyper though :eek: 😂 and Border Collies actually come in a lot of cool colors too! I’m sure you probably know that but they’re so much more than just black and white haha they come in Merle too! And chocolate/red ish and white, lemon, lavender, soooo many. 😁

And I love EEs too!! :love

I love Border Collies! Surprised they’re less hyper though :eek: 😂 and Border Collies actually come in a lot of cool colors too! I’m sure you probably know that but they’re so much more than just black and white haha they come in Merle too! And chocolate/red ish and white, lemon, lavender, soooo many. 😁

And I love EEs too!! :love
Well when i was a kid, colors other than black and white or red and white was unheard of, lol. Thats neat though, i didn't know that!

Well when i was a kid, colors other than black and white or red and white was unheard of, lol. Thats neat though, i didn't know that!
That makes sense! I feel like a lot of dog breeds have evolved or whatever haha I think with BCs, a lot of the sports people prefer the cool colors and bred them in! Haha harder to find true working lines in other colors but they do exist! But yeah.

Back
Top Bottom