Australian Shepherds protecting chickens?

We have two Aussies, a male and a female. My male is the best at taking care of our chickens, just the other day a big redtail came over the pasture where our birds range and Boomer was on him in no time flat, it amazes me how he knows which birds are a danger, we even have Frugenious Hawks (BIG) and Boomer keeps them at bay also, they sit on top of the telephone pole and just watch and wait and Boomer is at the bottom just watching and waiting.
We also have Guinea Hens and when one of them flys out of the pasture I tell Boomer "put her up" and he gives a half charge and back over the fence the bird goes.
Now my female Molly she is the momma to everything, we have a doz chicks that just moved out to the baby pen and Molly spends the day in there with them. I swear she counts them and if one is not with the group she will nudge it back to the others, she is really a sweet animal. Both Aussies take care of any coyote issues.
We also have a Golden Retriever and a Mini Schnauzer. I love my golden he is so very sweet, the other day he had a barred rock sitting on his back I couldn't get to the camera quick enough, but he was just so cool about it. As for the Schnauzer he is still a pup and still learning not to chase the chickens, Molly scolds him for that.
I wouldn't trade my Aussies for all the money in the world, they are my best buds and I know my flock is safe because of them.

Last night my 6 week old chicks spent their first night out in the chicken run. My black lab got one of their heads through the poultry wire.
somad.gif
She's been really good about watching them, guess I know why she was watching. Any training techniques for getting beyond this? I had hoped that the chicks would become boring, but now she's been rewarded with a chicken head!

By the way, if I leave the garden gate open she will sneak in at night and eat the broccoli. So she isn't the most trustworthy dog!
he.gif

It only gets better; this morning we saw a coyote on the wall!
barnie.gif

thanks

AZ

I have an aussie, she is fine with my chickens, loves to tease them into chasing her. If she hears any sort of commotion my dog will run over and break it up. So far I haven't had any trouble with hawks, even though they nest right next to our house!

One thing to remember about herding dogs and chickens is that chickens don't stay in flocks in the manner that ducks do. When threatened they squawk and scatter, which encourages a dog's prey drive.

I am just now raising a red aussie.... he was left in my barn by someone...... he is the best pet ever..... i am goint to trian him with the chicks first, and not going to give him any toy that sqeaks lol....... he listens very well when you have a play voice and a commanding voice...... I use positive reinforcement...... being a psychology major and vet major, I am using every technique I know possible to train him to become the best champ ever........ I live in a forest so just think of the predators

Our Aussie and really all of our dogs are great with the chickens. Though for the life of me I can't get him to herd them at bedtime. I've tried a little to train him to herd them but, he doesn't get it. So, he does have a lot of herding tendencies.

I must report that he does like to play chase with the ducks. Every once in a while, he will run after them, stop, and let one of the ducks chase him away. He seems to be playing.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom