Australians - Where are you all????

Yep. Me too. You don't have daylight to check yards, pens, health etc let alone action anything. Then you get some people wanting daylight saving to make it worse. It does make weekends sweeter though.
Agree in full but its only 2 weeks till the shortest day of the year - then the days will get longer again -yay!

I have decided I dislike winter ... I leave home at 06:00am for work and because it is still dark, I feed my girls before I go; they are not out of bed but they natter away to me from their roost. I normally get home at 04:00pm when my girls get to free range in the garden for 50mins or so before bed time. Yesterday I had a meeting and got home too late, it was dark and the girls had already gone to bed ... I haven't seen them since Tuesday afternoon!! Looking forward to getting home today and giving them a cuddle and a treat
smile.png
I get up pretty early, too. I just open their sliding door to their roost and open up their coop door so they can leave and free range then Ill put them to bed when I get home at five.

Brrrrr, chilly .. well for Brisbane it's chilly! Left home at 4pm yesterday to travel to the Gold Coast to sit in the rain for a couple of hours and watch my footy team lose and then traveled home in wet clothes, crawling into a very welcome warm bed at 1am .. the things we do! lolz. The weather bureau assures me that the rain is going to ease by this afternoon ... yeah, chookie time! Oh yeah, I am going to 'build a bridge', seriously not metaphorically. It is for my pond ... will post some piccies, if I don't stuff it up that is.
big_smile.png

Yep A Chicken Owner, I do .. sadly, yesterday was not the best day. To top it off, we were totally outnumbered by Gold Coast supporters .. a very solemn bus trip to the Train Station I can tell you
hmm.png

Miserable weather for breaking cluckys too. I'm in Bris aswell. My Silkie is going clucky but I don't want her to get ill caging her up when she might get wet. It rained a lot here last night. I can't leave her on the nest though or hatch chicks. I hatched some under another chook 8wks ago and can't home anymore.

Miserable weather for breaking cluckys too. I'm in Bris aswell. My Silkie is going clucky but I don't want her to get ill caging her up when she might get wet. It rained a lot here last night. I can't leave her on the nest though or hatch chicks. I hatched some under another chook 8wks ago and can't home anymore.
Yep, MyHaven, I think "miserable" sums it up pretty well. It sounds like you have your hands full. Silkies are so cute, I imagine it would be hard having to part with them. I hope this morning's forecast was correct and it clears up a bit later. I have 2 banties who have not started laying yet but I have been warned that when they do they are going to get broody .. today is a perfect day to hit BYC forums on how I am going to handle that situation. Currently, they are guilt tripping me .. jumping up and down at the wire begging to free range but it is too cold and wet for their Mum to stay outside and watch them
sad.png

Agree in full but its only 2 weeks till the shortest day of the year - then the days will get longer again -yay!

Yay alright. I didn't realise that. You have made me think my girls are doing well. While I've been waiting for them to drop off more it won't be long before they pick up egg laying again then. I've been getting 3-4 a day out of 6 hens. I'm happy with that as 5 have only just started.

Is the west still beautiful and friendly. I haven't been there for more than 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom