Australians - Where are you all????

Thank you OzChicken .... for your helpful and interesting comments. Will wait and see, keeping a close eye on her - she is happy this morning. Making a lot of noise which makes me wonder
if she is announcing the birth of another egg. !!! I do hope she gives herself a good rest before laying again though. Poor wee souls - what they go through for us.

Cheers ......... AB.

Sorry AB, I did not hear your distress call.

How is she now.

My Silkie has done the same thing. She laid one shelless - nearly all yolk and another very thin egg while on the roost. I do not know when but she was not hopping down off the perch every day and was quite lethargic I was really getting quite worried but she came good to lay her normal twelve eggs and go clucky again. The world of chooks was back in balance. My maran went off colour last week too - even more lethargic and stayed plopped on the ground all day. I got her drinking and then eating eventually - I am putting that down to the heat as well.

Now Cagney the Barny is clucky and it's too hot to lock her up. She really feels the heat.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry AB, I did not hear your distress call.

How is she now.

My Silkie has done the same thing. She laid one shelless - nearly all yolk and another very thin egg while on the roost. I do not know when but she was not hopping down off the perch every day and was quite lethargic I was really getting quite worried but she came good to lay her normal twelve eggs and go clucky again. The world of chooks was back in balance. My maran went off colour last week too - even more lethargic and stayed plopped on the ground all day. I got her drinking and then eating eventually - I am putting that down to the heat as well.

Now Cagney the Barny is clucky and it's too hot to lock her up. She really feels the heat.

Cheers
Hi MyHaven ... Thanks for your enquiry.

Mindy has improved .... and is gadding about her run and free range like nothing happened. I am almost sure now it was the terrific thunderstorm, sudden change in weather and the rain that caused her to drop the shell-less egg. She's eating well etc. and appears to have stopped shedding feathers ?? So it might have been a mini-moult ? because of the excessive heat we'd had. I am hoping she begins to lay properly again soon. I am not nearly as worried now as I was, thanks to all who answered my panic button push. !

Chooks are difficult to figure at times. Do hope your Maran, Silkie and Barney remain in good health - albeit a bit all over the place with the heat, and their broodiness. Heat does take it out of a chook - have heard that many times here, and elsewhere. Did a lot of spraying of the leaves overhead during the worst heat - and sprayed heavily on top of their coops ... to keep them a bit cooler.

Cheers ..... AB.

A little update ... Mindy Araucana has not laid another soft-shell ... but has laid quite a few proper greenish blue eggs - and one that was a real beige/brown in colour ??? She continues a smallish moult. Molly RIR is laying about 3 eggs a week, and is in a small moult - and poor Mandy Welsummer - no eggs at all, losing feathers by the box full ... I think she might end up with bare patches all over. It was Mandy who had a long slow moult through all last winter, but continued laying regularly right through. Opposite this year .... with her heavy moulting going on, they are all doing what they should be I guess - Autumn ( is that what up to almost mid 30's temp. is called these days ?? ) ... is moulting time. Hope they know something we don't and that this wretched dry dry dry, hot weather ends soon.

Cheers to all ...... AB

Hi live in Gympie QLD Hot one day bloody hot the next New member love the site

Welcome 'roasted' to this really great site. Hope you enjoy every moment you spend on here.

I think you have sent part of Queensland's weather down south this past 6 months. Geez mate - thanks !!!!
rant.gif
LOL. It's been ultra hot - and now is ultra humid - still with high temps. I do NOT like the heat Victoria delivers. The only place I can think of emmigrating to is Antarctica - where I would not be alone for the next 8 months, as my son Craig is 'wintering' there with a whole lot of other mad people ( who go swimming in minus ° temps in the coastal sea ) !! All nuts. He returns from the Antarctic in November this year. He's having a wonderful time, and I think it's now in his blood & psyche - probably will go back and do a few more tours of duty / deployments.

Anyway - I have digressed !! Again - welcome ....

Cheers ..... AB

Hi, I'm from Tasmania, Australia.
I have enjoyed reading all the great information here while planning how to convert a cubby house into a coop for my two silkie x's.
Love the poop board photos, and everyones advice. Thank you :)
I am wondering if I can find Sweet PDZ here, will be heading out to Roberts or Animal Tuckerbox to see if they stock a similar product.
Wish me luck!

Hi, I'm from Tasmania, Australia.
I have enjoyed reading all the great information here while planning how to convert a cubby house into a coop for my two silkie x's.
Love the poop board photos, and everyones advice. Thank you :)
I am wondering if I can find Sweet PDZ here, will be heading out to Roberts or Animal Tuckerbox to see if they stock a similar product.
Wish me luck!
Welcome to BYC ... there's some great info on here, and another Australian site called "Australia - Six states and that funny little island" ... true - that's the name of it, and it is an ultra busy busy site, which is why I think this one was begun ( can't be sure about that ). But there's good stuff on there too. Tasmania is a beautiful island - love it when I visit there. ( not 'funny little' at all ) ... but I think that was named in the spirit of good fun and genuine friendliness.

Hope you continue to enjoy your look through so much info available here - and on other subject pages on BYC. Good luck at finding the product you seek.

Cheers ......... AB.

Last edited:
Hi to everyone, I'm pretty new to this site and was wondering how many australians are among the members./img/smilies/caf.gif

I am really enjoying this site and come back at least 3 times a day for a read and to get advice. Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions./img/smilies/hugs.gif

So where are all the Aussies??? Holla Back Aussies with where in this great big land you live./img/smilies/frow.gif

Me, I'm From NSW a Suburb called Charmhaven Its on the Central Coast of NSW about an hours drive north of sydney./img/smilies/bun.gif

Hi im new to this site but im really trying to find some 1 in Australia with Brahma chickens they seem to be impossible to find i previously had 5 of them which are gone to old age and my daughter is devastated cause 3 were hers so im looking to replace them if anyone knows of anyone who has them can you please let me no
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom