Australians - Where are you all????

Australia is a big place and I don't know where you are located but the BYP directory has five brahma breeder listings. There is also a breeder on the Backyard Poultry forum living in the South East Qld area that has brahma or will know some contacts if you message her. Her username is nostress.

Last edited:
Hi sorry im in new south Wales tamworth region im not quite sure how to use this site i can't find her on here

Welcome to all the new folk on here. I think most of the contributors to this particular forum / pages ... are Aussie. It began a while back now, by someone who was looking to gather all the Aussies together for chook information. Our chickens are somewhat different to other countries - e.g. the Australian bred Araucana is totally different to that of the American Araucana. Was most confused myself at first when I went to look up some info. on Araucana's and found my little girl wouldn't get a look in over there. But many people have been helpful on here ( about my Mindy Araucana ) ... and also there's another very large forum which is Australian. Called "Australia - Six States and that funny little Island" .... dunno who started that one either, but most probably was not anybody from Tasmania. !!
wink.png

Anyway - have fun folks. Good to see you all here.

Cheers ....... AB

There are a number of backyard poultry forums located in Australia. Nostress is on one of them. I don't know if she has a username here, sorry.

There are a number of differences between the Australian Standards and the American Poultry Standards. The laced wyandottes also have some slight differences that can be confusing. I think the Americans have some lovely wyandottes going by the photographs. It would make sense.

The Brahmas in Australia are generally in need of some improvement judging by what I've seen here. They are quite rare so having more people breeding them is a good thing.

I should add that I am in Queensland - hot muggy summers but idyllic winters. Chickens love the winter but don't do as well in the hot summer.

Last edited:
Hi folks I'm in gympie qld . I keep australorps also have 2 brown chooks (don't know the name ) rooster is a Rhode island red . He's a huge fella looks after the girls , no more fox problems. Just hatched my first eggs six out of 13

I am from a tiny Country town (only has a small hall) called Glenormiston in South West Victoria. I currently don't have any chickens but have a friend who is going to give me some Silkie hens (about 3 or 4) and a Silkie rooster and I have a incubator on the way so maybe buying some fertilized eggs before the SIlkie's start laying (as I'm inpatient LOL).

I am from a tiny Country town (only has a small hall) called Glenormiston in South West Victoria. I currently don't have any chickens but have a friend who is going to give me some Silkie hens (about 3 or 4) and a Silkie rooster and I have a incubator on the way so maybe buying some fertilized eggs before the SIlkie's start laying (as I'm inpatient LOL).

Welcome darajosami .... This is a great site, and great Aussie pages to be found here, including this one. It's great to hear you are getting some chickens - they are wonderful to keep, and can be such a great source of fun and caring.

Speaking of which, and the main reason I am replying, I thought I had best let you know ( if you have never had Silkies before ) ... that they are very very prone to getting thoroughly wet through to the skin. Their downy feathers do not protect them like larger chickens ( normal feathered chicken feathers are thick, and the rain runs off them like from ducks ). I lost my dear little Silkie ( Moppitt is my profile pic ) .... to getting soaked in an overnight storm - where the coop leaked ( I didn't know about the leaking part at the time ) ... and she must've been wet for some hours. Came down with respiratory > pneumonia very quickly and succumbed to that. Of course the coop is completely rain-proof now, but all too late. My other chickens are ok ... but I will most likely not have another Silkie as I would be inclined to keep her / them indoors, and let them only out to free range on the nicest of days. They are really very fragile, but with good care and protection, would give years of delight and lovely little eggs.

Thought I should mention this ... to give you a heads up about keeping them totally dry at all times. Problems if you don't. And they don't get out of the rain too quickly either ( silly little sweeties ) ... Good luck with your brood of Silkies and any others you can raise when the initial lot become broody - ( and they do very easily ) or in the incubator.

Cheers ........ AB

Welcome darajosami .... This is a great site, and great Aussie pages to be found here, including this one. It's great to hear you are getting some chickens - they are wonderful to keep, and can be such a great source of fun and caring.

Speaking of which, and the main reason I am replying, I thought I had best let you know ( if you have never had Silkies before ) ... that they are very very prone to getting thoroughly wet through to the skin. Their downy feathers do not protect them like larger chickens ( normal feathered chicken feathers are thick, and the rain runs off them like from ducks ). I lost my dear little Silkie ( Moppitt is my profile pic ) .... to getting soaked in an overnight storm - where the coop leaked ( I didn't know about the leaking part at the time ) ... and she must've been wet for some hours. Came down with respiratory > pneumonia very quickly and succumbed to that. Of course the coop is completely rain-proof now, but all too late. My other chickens are ok ... but I will most likely not have another Silkie as I would be inclined to keep her / them indoors, and let them only out to free range on the nicest of days. They are really very fragile, but with good care and protection, would give years of delight and lovely little eggs.

Thought I should mention this ... to give you a heads up about keeping them totally dry at all times. Problems if you don't. And they don't get out of the rain too quickly either ( silly little sweeties ) ... Good luck with your brood of Silkies and any others you can raise when the initial lot become broody - ( and they do very easily ) or in the incubator.

Cheers ........ AB

Thanks, I have gone with Brown Leghorn Bantams. We got 10 hens and rooster today
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom