Australians - Where are you all????

Welcome Chinese Cook. In respect of which chickens to buy, it basically depends on your own personal circumstances, for example:
Do you have a small or large garden?
Will they be free ranging or confined to a chicken run?
Do you want them purely for their egg laying ability as many of the breeds that some of us keep are very poor layers.
Will children be handling the chickens, as some breeds are much calmer and easier to handle than others.
If you google the different breeds of chickens it will give you a lot of information about each breed that will help you to make a decision based on your own circumstances.
Whichever breed you choose, you will soon get to know their individual personalities and like all of us on this site become quite addicted to owning chickens. They are very rewarding and add that little something to your garden and life!
Good luck with your choices. :)

What do pidgeons do to chooks? Is it just passing on diseases? I removed 18 pythons in a 4 month period, this year. Worst year I have ever had for snakes.
Sorry about your hen. What age?
hi there, and welcome
hugs.gif
as far as I know, the pigeons just eat the chook feed :)
that python pic is pretty impressive and you made me smile with you "rainforest" chooks
smile.png

So what will you do? I will face the same problem. Is it regulations stopping u keeping or fighting etc?
hi :) - firstly, if you're in a built up area/town you're not supposed to have a rooster because of their crowing (which can go on through the night )
1 rooster can look after about 12 hens, two, or more, roosters can do a lot of fighting and injure each other. It's a male thing
gig.gif

I just have my girls for eggs, so as they slow down I get another couple from my 'chook man' to keep supply going.
And at the risk of some critisism here - I let my older gals live life out just peckin' around
roll.png

Hi again everyone! We have hatched our brand spanking new chickens and are really enjoying all their antics.

we had twelve eggs and twelve hatch but we will only be keeping four. Hope everyone is well and all animals are happy and healthy.

Cate, thanks for sharing your pics of your lovely chicks. I said I wouldn't add to my flock following the death of my favorite girl Lavender, but when I see photos of these gorgeous little fluff balls I literally get all 'clucky' again and think, 'Ah well, another couple won't make much difference'
I am down to only 8 girls currently and husband thinks I should increase the flock!!
I find the worse part is introducing the new girls to the established flock, having to fence off a special area especially as I have a terribly bossy Polish bantam Betty who despite being one of the last girls to join the team, has definitely established herself as head honcho!!:)

hi :) - firstly, if you're in a built up area/town you're not supposed to have a rooster because of their crowing (which can go on through the night )
1 rooster can look after about 12 hens, two, or more, roosters can do a lot of fighting and injure each other. It's a male thing:gig
I just have my girls for eggs, so as they slow down I get another couple from my 'chook man' to keep supply going.
And at the risk of some critisism here - I let my older gals live life out just peckin' around :rolleyes:

redfeather13 - I'm with you, letting the older gals stay on till the end of their days. I couldn't get rid of one just because she has stopped laying. I get way too attached to my girls and as most of them are poor egg layers at the best of time, they are there more for enjoyment, eating the weeds and bugs and keeping the grandsons amused!

redfeather & dirtgirl-I also keep all my "senior citizens". My old rooster -12yrs has outlived his original wives and his kids. His new wife has now got 9 of his chicks so his line will go on!. I figure the old girls teach the new ones the ropes.

Back
Top Bottom