Australians - Where are you all????

Hi aussie Pete,
I incubate quite a bit. Unless you are going to start hatching commercially then a cardboard box and a normal desk lamp with 40 watt bulb will do. If you have heaps of chicks then use two lamps.
I'll try and find a picture of the setups I used to use.

Hi aussie Pete,
I incubate quite a bit. Unless you are going to start hatching commercially then a cardboard box and a normal desk lamp with 40 watt bulb will do. If you have heaps of chicks then use two lamps.
I'll try and find a picture of the setups I used to use.

thought about that, but don't think those new energy saving bulbs will produce enough heat ,cant buy the old type bulbs in nsw any more

Hi All!

I just joined after browsing some of the very informative pages on this site. I'm onto my second flock, trying my hand at raising chicks (Barnevelders and Araucanas) and my wyandotte eggs are due to hatch about Wednesday - super nervous, hope they'll be OK!!

At the moment I have an old Barred Plymouth Rock who is still going strong from my first flock (which included silver and gold laced wyandottes & buff orps, RIP). I have just recently added two lovely Australorps.

I live in Canberra. Anyone else close by?

thought about that, but don't think those new energy saving bulbs will produce enough heat ,cant buy the old type bulbs in nsw any more

I've been using the halogen bulbs mounted inside the old style bulb and they produce a good amount of heat. You can also purchase bulbs from the pet shop that are specifically for reptiles or chicks (just gotta choose the right one for your needs) but they run from about $60 a bulb!

I've been using the halogen bulbs mounted inside the old style bulb and they produce a good amount of heat. You can also purchase bulbs from the pet shop that are specifically for reptiles or chicks (just gotta choose the right one for your needs) but they run from about $60 a bulb!

thanks for the info ,saw those at bunnings today but bought a 150 watt flood lamp for $10 .will test if not hot enough will try those halogen bulbs .my budget doesn't run to heat emitters ,bulb is
$60 but lead &connector with reflector is $50 .I'm in lockhart about 3hrs sw of u other side of wagga

Hi All!

Ive had a profile on this site for a while but finally decided to post something
big_smile.png

Im from Kalgoorlie, WA and my first lot of incubated eggs are hatching!! Yayee.

Anywho I hope to gain some great info from you all.

Back
Top Bottom