Australorp chicks from Mt Healthy

Hylee Unlikely

Chirping
Mar 19, 2023
Bear with me if I screw up this post / pics / vids! 🙏🏼

Thought I'd post an update about my Australorps from Mt Healthy. They are 21 weeks now and surprisingly started laying a few days ago, despite brutal humidity and a heat index of 105 degrees plus for 22 straight days now.

So far, the coop/pen rebuild has positively been proven to be cardinal, dove, squirrel, rat, opossum and snake proof. It's like a giant live trap 😂
I'm sure sooner or later, some hungry critter will be determined enough to break in somehow, but for now I'm more concerned about birds of prey snatching a chicken for dinner while they're out foraging.

My goodest boy Tegu loves to hang out with his girls or slowly herd them around the shady areas, I'm proud of how well he has taken to being a part time livestock guardian ☺️ Occasionally he is over eager and herds them all back into the pen for no reason, he's so proud of himself :love

I know he won't deter all the hawks, vultures, kites and eagles that are nesting nearby, but it might help some having a 140some pound spotted wonderkow hanging around.
One reason for choosing Australorps this time around was to experiment and see if a bunch of "little black crows" will trigger less aerial attacks. Not very scientific, I know, but considering the number of crows, black birds and vultures in the area, maybe there's a chance they stand out less than the neighbors little white bantams that got picked off in a hurry.

The chickens love their little sanctuary and are always happy to hang out in the pen to cool down, dipping their waddles and beaks right up to their eyes 👀 while others just waltz right into the shallow water bath and sit down like it's spa day.

I toss stripped oregano leaves into the water, some days chopped up aloe vera, lemon balm, parsley and whatever kitchen herbs, collards and greens are growing in the little food forest around their pen, they absolutely love it and every speck disappears in minutes. Chikin Gazpacho is definitely a summer favorite.
It's been so hot, some actually just sit down in the water to cool themselves.

Zero manners 🙄

Embarrassingly enough, I'm still unsure of rooroos. These Australorps are so very quiet and sweet, I have one boy for sure. He/they have yet to begin crowing, which seems odd at 21 weeks, but nature will do it's thing when it's good and ready. A few years ago a lonely Australorp rooroo wandered in from the bush and squatted with my chickens. He was quite young and already crowing, but I think someone just dumped him. Maybe the extreme heat delays the vocal development?

Who knows. Now that I typed it out loud and the girls are starting manufacturing of butt nuggets, I'll probably get a wake up call tomorrow morning at 0dark30 🤣

I can't come near the girls now without tripping over them because they run up and squat right in front of me, sweet talking and begging to get bumped. Surely that'll fire up the boys.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the chicks from Mt Healthy. All were in good health, about half were quite plump and a bit bigger than the others-maybe from two different lineages/breeders? Or maybe some were a day or two older?.
Not sure, but they were all healthy and thriving, zero loss to date.

Ordering and shipping went without a hitch, communication was outstanding; excellent transaction, I would definitely do business with them again.
I attached a couple of pics and posted links to YouTube for the vids, or at least I tried (I'd rather muck out the barn than figure out technology 🙈🙉🙊 )

IMG_8054.jpeg
IMG_8055.jpeg

Thought I'd post an update about my Australorps from Mt Healthy. They are 21 weeks now and surprisingly started laying a few days ago,
Congratulations!
Overall, I've been very pleased with the chicks from Mt Healthy. All were in good health,

Ordering and shipping went without a hitch, communication was outstanding; excellent transaction, I would definitely do business with them again.
I was very pleased with my Mt Healthy chicks too. I definitely would order from them again.

Back
Top Bottom