Australorp genders

I'm not even sure one of them is a Wyandotte; its comb doesn't look like a pea comb. Maybe it's another easter-egger, but it has yellow feet so we thought it was a Wyandotte...

Wyandottes have rose combs, not pea combs. And your one with the atypical comb is single-combed which often happens with hatchery birds.

Last edited:
Here they are. The composite wyandotte pic is at ~8 weeks old, I think the 2 females are probably #5 and #6.
Wyandottes.jpg

Wyandotte Roosters ~5 months old: 20210306 male wyandotte.jpg
Wyandotte pullet ~4 months old
20210219 female.jpg

Australorp cockerel ~8 weeks old
Australorp roosters.jpg

Australorp pullets ~8 weeks old
Australorp hens Wyandotte Easter Egger.jpg
Australorp pullet ~4 months old
4mo Australorp Hen.jpg
Australorp Rooster ~5 months old
5 mo Australorp Rooster.jpg

I hope that helps!

Thanks!! That 100% answers my australorp question!

Do you know when your wyandotte roosters started getting their whiter wings/shoulders? My wyandotte's feather pattern says female, but the comb says male. Trying to figure out when I can reliably know for sure, since I've seen a few large-combed 5 week olds end up being female with this breed. Don't want to get rid of Jules if he could still mayyyybe be a she.

Thanks!! That 100% answers my australorp question!

Do you know when your wyandotte roosters started getting their whiter wings/shoulders? My wyandotte's feather pattern says female, but the comb says male. Trying to figure out when I can reliably know for sure, since I've seen a few large-combed 5 week olds end up being female with this breed. Don't want to get rid of Jules if he could still mayyyybe be a she.
Sorry, we didn't watch so carefully... just figured it would eventually be obvious! We also knew we'd eat if male and keep for eggs if female, and by the time we were ready to eat it would be obvious... and that was truer than we thought, since we procrastinated until 20 weeks old before starting to harvest roos! Maybe someone else will weigh in? I have seen elsewhere that SLW are difficult to sex and often seem like one gender and end up being the other...

Back
Top Bottom