Australorp hens or Roos ????

22chickenman

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2016
Thought I had 3 black australorp hens but they seem to be getting long tail feathers, does that mean they are all Roos?

If you can post a pic or three and include the ages of the birds it will help us to help you.

All of my Black Australorp have at one point or another while growing up had the odd long tail feather show up. I only ended up with one male out of 40 or so that I have raised.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
The last 3 are of the individual birds. They are about 17 weeks old.

17 weeks old. Bought them at 5 weeks, was given the smaller ones out of a big batch in hopes they were pullets.

I am not seeing the saddle feathers at this time but I do think you got the short end of the stick so to speak.

Ideal hatchery has Black Australorp on sale this week for a tomorrow ship date. I always had trouble finding them when I wanted or had room so I toss that out there in case you are interested in hatchery sexed birds. (Just don't go and order straight run.)

If they are indeed 3 cockerels, once they grow up I will have 6 roosters (currently have 1 rooster, 5 cockerels), and 24 hens. If the majority of them grow up together will they be able to coexist? What's the lowest ratio one can get away with?

Back
Top Bottom