Australorp Production Stats

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Dec 23, 2011.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hey Australorp keepers, I want to hear some production stats from your personal experience with with this breed. I know the bit about the record setting Australorp hen that's been in the mcmurray catalog for years, but are they all high producers like that in general ? Id like to know roughly how many eggs you get a week per henIfrom production, hatchery type hens) and where you got them from, and pics of the hens and eggs would be good too if you have them.

Thanks

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Sooooo.... I guess nobody has Australorps ??? [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have one Australorp hen. She is 9 months old and has been laying since August 20th. She lays nearly everyday. I think she has only missed 3 days or so since her first egg. She did give me 2 eggs one day. I am assuming she is hatchery stock. I got her from a local woman.

4. mnabity

mnabity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Eagar, AZ
    I have 3 Australorps all 26 weeks. One isn't laying yet the other two have. been laying daily for about 2 weeks. Their eggs are the same size as a large from the store but since they are just starting out that may change.

ETA-I purchased my girls from the local feed store which makes them hatchery.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. mnabity

mnabity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Eagar, AZ
    [​IMG]

Here are two of my BA girls along with the queen of the coop(the wheaten EE in the middle) about two weeks ago.

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I got my 2 Australorps from the local feed store, I believe they order from Ideal.

Great layers for Spring/Summer, 5x per week would be a realistic estimate, definite slow down in the fall/winter, I do not artificially light my coops. Mine are almost 2 yrs old. They both molted really bad this fall, and didn't lay at all during that period. In two years, only one has gone broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by