Australorp Pullet isn't eating or drinking anything! Help!

AZchickens17

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
In the SUPER hot state of AZ
1) What type of bird: Australorp
Does seem a little thinner than the others. (Because she hasn't been eating or drinking much)
2) Doesn't want to walk. Just sits there and sleeps. Very lethargic. Only opens eyes if startled by accident.
3) First started acting odd about a week 5 days ago and has progressively gotten worse:(
4) Are there any other birds showing similar symptoms?No. However I was gone for 3 days to San Diego and 2 other chickens died mysteriously while I was gone
5) Any psychical injuries such as bleeding or broken bones?
No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I feel that she was dehydrated because we were having issues with the waterer.
7) Tried giving cold water with oregano, then electrolytes and vitamins. Food is layer feed with some vitamins, some calcium powder with a little bit of water to make it mushy.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Started off pretty firm and normal colored is now liquids and only white.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Electrolytes, epsom salt baths, vetrx, essential oils, lots of love, and a little bit of warmth form a hating pad.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would like to be able to use natural remedies and not spend a fortune on vet bills and medications.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) On a slightly warmed towel in a cardboard box. Room is about 79 degrees. And food and water are constantly available.

Thank you for your help!!

I am suspecting sour crop , so last night I emptied the contents of her crop and I was correct. However as of this morning, she still isn't eating or drinking anything willingly. I have to dip her head in water for her to drink. What should I do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom