1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurasLorps, Apr 25, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hi, I am a first timer with 4 australorp chicks. They are only a week old, so I know I have a while before I can know for sure what sex my chicks are, but I was wondering what kind of things I could be looking for. I've read things about looking for how fast they feather, how thick their legs are or what color their comb is. But I am not sure which are just old wives' tales and which are reliable methods. Any help our guidance would be appreciated!

2. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    I bought australorp chicks last summer, supposed to be all pullets. Well, I could tell by 2 weeks that "one of these things was not like the others". He was not feathering as fast, didn't grow a tail, but grew a big ole' comb! I think it's easier to tell if you have a few to compare to. I think I had 4 of them, sadly 2 of which my dog ate but left me with the roo. Figures. You will see soon enough if there is a roo in the mix.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    At that age, it is just too early to tell gender yet. And none of those "old wives tales" things work on chicks. But with Australorps, many times the males will show signs early on, especially around 5 and 6 weeks. The combs and wattles will really start to grow and redden. The legs will thicken up. Since you have 4 chicks you can compare them to each other and while each one of them will mature at different rates, the males will develop much different from the females. Sometimes females do grow out feathers faster than males and females will even spar with each other.

This is all general and is not always true however and sometimes you just have to wait til it either crows or lays an egg. At about 5 or 6 weeks, watch the comb area. The females combs should stay dainty and only pale up. No big red combs or wattles.

You will love this breed, they can be real sweet hearts. Hope this info helped. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    At that age, it is just too early to tell gender yet. And none of those "old wives tales" things work on chicks. But with Australorps, many times the males will show signs early on, especially around 5 and 6 weeks. The combs and wattles will really start to grow and redden. The legs will thicken up. Since you have 4 chicks you can compare them to each other and while each one of them will mature at different rates, the males will develop much different from the females. Sometimes females do grow out feathers faster than males and females will even spar with each other.

This is all general and is not always true however and sometimes you just have to wait til it either crows or lays an egg. At about 5 or 6 weeks, watch the comb area. The females combs should stay dainty and only pale up. No big red combs or wattles.

You will love this breed, they can be real sweet hearts. Hope this info helped. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    k

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Boy! If a post doesn't "post" don't keep trying to repost it!! This is what happens....the same message over and over.

Sooooooo sorry about that [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I've been going through the same thing, check out my link to my pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=489434&p=1

The most reliable thing I can say now (hindsight being what it is!) is that Mindy (now Mork) had the shorter tail, and was slower to feather out. I had never heard that was a "roo" thing until I started noticing Mindy's tail was pointy and she would actually roost her sister into the coop at night. Also Mindy was the first one to greet us, earlier friendliness and curiosity are roo traits. The comb isn't drastically different on mine, which is why it's been so hard to figure out. But these differences came about 8-9 weeks along.

Hope that helps, and I will parrot what the poster said about them being sweet and awesome. I've already left a message for 2 more! Have to make up for losing Mindy this week.

Best of luck!!

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Here are a few pics of my Austrlorps...they were supposed to have been pullets, they were all roos....

[​IMG]

there are some BR roos in there also

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this helps a bit....ALL ROOS!

10. motherhenfran

motherhenfran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    @JodyJo that's so many Roos!! I know this thread is rather old but what did you end up doing with all your boys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by