Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
500 birds! No, I have 5 show hens, 2 roosters and some layers. If things so as I hope, I will have a few more show birds and since I am retired I can pamper them. I doubt I will have more than 25 birds at any time and that they will be exhibition lines. Aussies are very popular here but we need to aim at SOP or it will be mostly utility breeding. I see that in the UK predator mites are now available so I hope they are going to be in North America soon. Bonnie- wondering which fly predators you use.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/Uploads/Info/82.pdf

500 birds! No, I have 5 show hens, 2 roosters and some layers. If things so as I hope, I will have a few more show birds and since I am retired I can pamper them. I doubt I will have more than 25 birds at any time and that they will be exhibition lines. Aussies are very popular here but we need to aim at SOP or it will be mostly utility breeding. I see that in the UK predator mites are now available so I hope they are going to be in North America soon. Bonnie- wondering which fly predators you use.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/Uploads/Info/82.pdf

I hatched probably about 100 Australorps this year. Had great success last year showing the father to all these young ones. Here is a picture of him.

Matt

I've read through this thread but I'm still confused on white feathers for juvenile birds. It seems that many of my 6 week old pullets have a white tipped wing feathers. Am I right to cull these out?

On the feet, should the webbing be dark also?

Also, when starting your flock, do you cull for color or body type first?

An interesting note about our BA project that lovers of the breed my enjoy. My boys and I marked birds that we liked based on personality. These are the birds that we are going to really go over before we decide to cull them. Turns out the birds with the best personality (most friendly, curious, docile, etc.) seem to have the darkest eyes, darkest legs and no white or very little white to their wing tips!

We are going to cull this bird.

This is a keeper.

This is a pic of her feet.

I've read through this thread but I'm still confused on white feathers for juvenile birds. It seems that many of my 6 week old pullets have a white tipped wing feathers. Am I right to cull these out?

An interesting note about our BA project that lovers of the breed my enjoy. My boys and I marked birds that we liked based on personality. These are the birds that we are going to really go over before we decide to cull them. Turns out the birds with the best personality (most friendly, curious, docile, etc.) seem to have the darkest eyes, darkest legs and no white or very little white to their wing tips!

This is a keeper.

First they have to look like Australorps. Then start working on the DQs in the Standard for them.

If you can find a local Poultry Judge in your area, see if you can get a home visit. Then get input for making a breeding plan based on your flock. You will be surprised at what you learn. Things you have not seen that a trained eye will see will be very helpful.

You already have a good start with them.

Best!

Last edited:

This is a keeper.

It is normal for Juvenile BA's to have white in the wings. When they molt in there first set of adult feathers at 4-6 months the white should go away. If you still have white at 7-9 months you should not use that bird for breeding. The feet look normal except the seem to have a yellow look to them...are the bottoms of the feet white or yellow?

Matt

Those fly predators look vey effective, you are pleased?  And do they have to be released every year?

Yes, we've definitely seen a decrease in flies. Just have to keep the chickens locked up for a few days after you spread them so they don't eat them all. We get them every year. They're supposed to be more effective year after year. The only issue is they don't seem to effect biting flies, so I still have to spray my horses for them. Also, they're less effective if your neighbors have livestock and don't use them.

Back
Top Bottom