Australorps Clumping Together

Chickiebaby8

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Kentucky
I got them from a friend who kind of rescued them but they spent a few weeks quite confined. I have a huge fenced in chicken yard, a shady area and lots of grass for them to play on. They either clump up in the chicken house, in the corner of the yard or next to the quarantine pen. The only other chickens I had when they arrived are the BR (pictured below) and a 6 month old Golden Comet.

Here is a photo or two.

54787_lorps2.jpg

54787_lorpsandbr.jpg

54787_dsc01116.jpg

Thank you for any help.

welcome-byc.gif

If they were kept locked in close quarters then they are probably really scared. They have changed hands 2 times in a short period. They are quite the pretty birds for sure. I think that with some TLC and lots of it they will come around eventually. Try to give them some extra treats like grapes, greens, mealy worms and tons of other stuff they love. I wish you the best of luck with your new girls. I have Barred Rocks and they are some very sweet birds. Yours is quite lovely.

Thank you for your kind words.
I have been feeding them separately and giving them bread. I will try the grapes. It might be nice in the sunshine. I was also going to get a watermelon to share with them. I love them. They don't mind being snuggled once you get hold of one. They seem to really love each other.

I agree with chickenlady that they're probably frightened. If they were kept in close quarters, and now they're in a large space, that could scare them and make them want to huddle close to a wall or inside the coop. Also, you said that your friend rescued them, so who knows how they were treated or where they were kept before that. Do you know if they were ever outside before you got them? That alone could be pretty intimidating to them. How long have you had them? It might take them a few weeks to get used to their new home. Lots of TLC and treats is how I'd handle it. Mine just love berries and noodles - separately, of course. LOL! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom