Australorp's first egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ken H, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    One of my 4 Black Australorps just layed it's first egg. My ISA Brown's have been laying for two weeks now. The reason I know one of my Australorps is laying is that I collected 4 eggs earlier this morning. I have only 4 ISA Browns and 4 Australorps and the egg is distinctivly different in color. The Browns' eggs are uniformly brown in color,whereas the Australorp's egg is a lighter brown with dark brown speckling. The egg is small but I expect it they will increase in size as the hens mature. Here is a picture of the first egg.
    [​IMG]

2. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Congrats! It's so exciting when they start laying.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!! Nice egg....[​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Wonderful, Ken [​IMG]!

This gives me an excuse to comment a little about about my Australorp eggs [​IMG]. I have had Aussies 3 times over the years. They have always had light brown eggs with no spots. This last pair - one has a dark brown/spots egg.

However, things have changed. At about 16 months, Olivia decided to turn broody. Once that was all over, she had some problems getting back to egg laying.

Her 1st 3 eggs had extremely soft shells. Two were cracked before I got them out of the nest. Then she layed one outdoors and it had no shell.

Olivia's "back in the groove" now but she no longer lays speckled eggs!

Yep, their eggs change as they mature. It takes a Leghorn-type pullet a year before they reach their full weight and probably the large breeds require longer than that. I think that egg size reflects this increase in body weight. Certainly tho', don't expect any consistency with regards to ANYTHING [​IMG] during the first few weeks of laying.

Steve

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I have 23 BA girls, which I 'm getting an average of 13 eggs daily. Wish the others would catch up. [​IMG] Anyways, i have only gotten one "speckled" egg from the girlies. all of mine have been a nice uniform medium brown egg. But any egg is a good egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by