Australorps versus Orpingtons/English

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Hello all

Just curious as i am learning chickens and researching - but as far as temperant- hardiness - laying etc- What is the difference between Australorps and orpingtons - and along the same lines - what is the advantage to a true English orpington?

Thanks - newbie question i know

Australorps are slightly smaller tighter feathered livley.orpingtons are larger wonderful temprament you just love them..both are nice to have around..australorps can be egg laying machines , they do also go broody on occasion, not sure about the orps going broody..there are a couple of threads in here with some outstanding buff orps and one or 2 threads about australorps that give a lot of information on breeders experiences.and why they like them

Last edited:
Australorps lay better and are smaller
Orps are bigger and they have a better temperment
they both go broody but orps are better
punky

So with the Aussies around - does it make it harder to find a black Orpington- perhaps not as many people raise them? And are there issues with the weight on the Orpingtons and perhaps breaking eggs when broody?
Thanks for your input - learning and trying to soak in as much as possible!

Australorps and Orpingtons... Australorps were bred out of black orpington.

The Australorp ( all colours not just the black) are good egg layers, and the roosters do not make that bad of a meat bird.

don't have orpingtons so i will let some one that raises them tell you about them.

Quote:
I had a orp rooster and he was very BIG and nice! My BA hens layed very well

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a orp rooster and he was very nice! My BA hens layed very well

there is not only black. I raise Blue Black & Splash australorps, and hope to get whites...

Quote:
I had a orp rooster and he was very nice! My BA hens layed very well

there is not only black. I raise Blue Black & Splash australorps, and hope to get whites...

Are the blue black and splash only in Canada?

Quote:

Are the blue black and splash only in Canada?

I'm sure there are some in the US

Back
Top Bottom