Australorps vs Speckled Sussex

I've had both, 3 Australorps and 4 Sussexs.

Sussex
1. B-C (mine never went broody)
2. B
3. A
4. A
5. B

Australorp
1. B
2. B
3. A
4. A
4. B

I will say Black Australorps are probably my least favorite breed I've owned, and I don't plan on having them again. All three of mine were mine liked to bite people on purpose, were flock bullies, flighty (which can be good if you have lots of predators), and they just didn't impress me. I did LOVE my Speckled Sussex girls, they were sweet, beautiful to look at, good layers, and some of my favorites in my flock.
Thank you! Sounds like you didnt have the best experience with Australorps.

I'm thinking about getting some chicks and I can't decide on whether to get Australorps or Sussex chicks. So, I have a few questions.
Starting with the Sussex breed:

1. Do they go broody if so how often? (A. - very likely (B. - not very likely (C. - not at all likely
2. Roughly how many eggs per year? (A. - 150-200 (B. - 200-300 (C. - 300-350
3. Are they heat tolerant? (A. - yes (B. - no
4. Are they cold tolerant? (A. - yes (B. - no
5. What is the average size of bird? (A. - large (B. - medium (C. - small

Next is the Australorp breed:
1. Do they go broody if so how often? (A. - very likely (B. - not very likely (C. - not at all likely
2. Roughly how many eggs per year? (A. - 150-200 (B. - 200-300 (C. - 300-350
3. Are they heat tolerant? (A. - yes (B. - no
4. Are they cold tolerant? (A. - yes (B. - no
5. What is the average Size of bird? (A. - large (B. - medium (C. - small

And you can also put in your own information as well!
Can't speak to the Sussex.

Australorps:
1. they haven't yet, but they are only a year old
2. B - laid nicely through the winter
3. Relative - what do you consider hot? Mine handle 80's and low 90's fine.
4. yes, down to -10f just fine
5. Medium-large - same size as my buff orpingtons

oh, my! I read that they were a very friendly bird, and was thinking of adding one to my next chick order. Now I'm having second thoughts
I believe bloodlines have a lot to do with temperment, so if someone tells you about their experiences (positive or negative), always ask where they sourced their stock from. My Australorps are just fine. Not cuddle bugs, but not agrressive. (Townline Hatchery stock)

I just have an Australorp, but I’ll answer the questions for hers. Hopefully more folks answer so you have more data!

1) B (not likely to go broody)
2) B (I’d estimate high 200s)
3) A
4) A
5) B (medium)

To expand on the 3 and 4; one of my favorite things about Australorps is how heat AND cold hardy they are! Mine is just fine from 0F to 110F! Don’t have to worry about her at all.

Por que no los dos? Sussex and Australorps!
I agree comepletely with Tervuren!

Back
Top Bottom