Austrolorp Hens and roosters

I'm in southeast Arizona, and have raised Australorps since 2008. If the chicks hatch in early spring (March) the pullets will start laying around October - then drop off until February or so. Grown hens lay almost year-round, but slowing way down around the winter solstice (Dec 21), then back with a vengeance around mid-January. They molt seemingly at random. I haven't tried using artificial light to extend the laying season, but my flock is 3-7 years old and still producing about 5 eggs per hen per week.

Well for those who want to know it took my Austy hens 8 months to lay but it was worth the wait!!!! Beautiful big eggs.

Im not sure if this pic is going to load but here they are, lovely sweet natures!!! I have now found a home for my zulu rooster and have just kept my zulu hens.
Does anyone know if hens should be making a sneezing sound? They have chicks at the moment so they are making all sorts of sounds but this sneezing is new?

Sneezing sounds? Hmmm...I can't tell what part of the country you're in...you don't show it on your signature thingie..here in Oregon we are sweltering in this heat right now. Can't say my Australorp girls have had that. Have you had a change in weather/temps lately? Is it possible that your coop/run area has become dusty maybe? I dunno ..
idunno.gif
just thinkin' ...you have a very nice looking flock there!

I live in South Africa so we are cold at the moment. I was worrying that they have a flu of sorts. They look very well but the food I have is crushed quite alot and has a lot of mealie powder... maybe thats the problem?

I live in South Africa so we are cold at the moment. I was worrying that they have a flu of sorts. They look very well but the food I have is crushed quite alot and has a lot of mealie powder... maybe thats the problem?
Sure it could! I use Purina Crumbles...there's a tiny bit of crushed in it but that's all. And with your cold weather it just might be a combination of the two problems. Can you get your hands on a better grade of feed for them? How cold is it there now?

Here in SA we have a pellet that seems reasonably ok but my hens then raid the chicks dish with the mealie crush...

Back
Top Bottom