Auto Coop Door Only Closes an Inch...

seanneas

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 16, 2012
Hello!

So, I inherited a chicken coop that a friend of mine built. He had to move before he even got chickens. Anyhow, he installed an automatic coop door of unknown brand (more on this in a moment).

Here's what happened:
  • It takes 12v DC power so I connected it to my solar panel charge controller, coupled with a battery.
  • I set the time and the open/close times in immediate succession to test the door.It worked! For a few days....
  • On about the third night, I noticed that the door was open far after it was set to close. So, I reset the times again in succession to test it.
  • The door opened about an inch from where it was, then when the timer signaled to close, it closed only about an inch to where it was.
Here is was I did to troubleshoot:
  • I set it to open so that it would be in the open position physically (how it looks in the picture) and in the timer board.
  • Stuck Door.jpg
  • I removed the power supply and let it stay off for about an hour. There is no obvious reset feature.
  • Plugged it back it, set it and tested it. Same problem!!!
  • I removed the piston, motor and door, laying it in such a way to relieve any kind of friction or pressure. Same problem.
  • I also unplugged the safety motion sensor in case it was malfunctioning.
    • I did test in in succession again after that to make sure that this didn't effect the basic operation.
    • It operated the same as when it was plugged in.
    • Same problem...
About the door itself:
  • Unknown brand with no supporting documentation.
  • Only has a timer feature. Evidently there were remotes, but they're with the lost socks I'm guessing...
  • I found two auto coop doors by different brand names (Vevor and CO-Z) with boards that look nearly identical to mine.
    • I contacted CO-Z who just wants proof I purchased it to offer any help.... I just want the manual from them really
  • My friend also told me that, while he can't find the manual, it was a poorly translated piece of paper that wasn't very helpful. I believe him. We've all seen manuals like this.
  • He never used it.
  • Here is a picture of the main board in case anyone has one of these:
  • Chicken Door Timer.jpg
  • I am unsure what all is going on this board, but there are four buttons.
    • The top engages setting the time.
    • Below it are two more, '+' and '-' for adjusting the time and timer settings.
    • The fourth button is for learning the remote which I don't have, so it doesn't really matter.
  • Seven wires from left to right:
    • 12v+
    • 12v-
    • motor +
    • motor -
    • Sensor+
    • Sensor
    • Sensor -
Lastly, I want to preemptively note that I do not believe that this is because I have connected it to a 12v system rather than using the original rectifier (the AC to DC adapter). Here is a picture of the Solar setup. This door worked fine when I tested it on the panel without the battery, but I do have a ridiculously huge battery. What can I say, I had the battery....
Hen Door Solar Dealy.png

I think it must be the board. There is some text at the top about some other setting that reads "Open the timing" and shows a button but there is just a three prong receptacle of sorts. (You might be able to see it if you zoom in.)

Deep breath. Thank you already if you made ti this far. It's a lot, but I figured I would be as detailed as possible.

And, just thank you if you have any advice!

-Sean

By piston do you mean Linear Actuator? If you have a multimeter take the "piston off" the controller. Attached the leads to where the motor wires would go.

When the close/open is triggered look to see how long the power is on.
  • If it stops after a second(about same time it goes an inch and stops) then it is a problem with the board.
  • If it keeps going, it is a problem with the "piston".

Find that out and we can go from there.

Can you take a more straight on picture of the board and full view of the whole thing including case? Picture of "piston"?

Hello!

So, I inherited a chicken coop that a friend of mine built. He had to move before he even got chickens. Anyhow, he installed an automatic coop door of unknown brand (more on this in a moment).

Here's what happened:
  • It takes 12v DC power so I connected it to my solar panel charge controller, coupled with a battery.
  • I set the time and the open/close times in immediate succession to test the door.It worked! For a few days....
  • On about the third night, I noticed that the door was open far after it was set to close. So, I reset the times again in succession to test it.
  • The door opened about an inch from where it was, then when the timer signaled to close, it closed only about an inch to where it was.
Here is was I did to troubleshoot:
  • I set it to open so that it would be in the open position physically (how it looks in the picture) and in the timer board.
  • View attachment 3500918
  • I removed the power supply and let it stay off for about an hour. There is no obvious reset feature.
  • Plugged it back it, set it and tested it. Same problem!!!
  • I removed the piston, motor and door, laying it in such a way to relieve any kind of friction or pressure. Same problem.
  • I also unplugged the safety motion sensor in case it was malfunctioning.
    • I did test in in succession again after that to make sure that this didn't effect the basic operation.
    • It operated the same as when it was plugged in.
    • Same problem...
About the door itself:
  • Unknown brand with no supporting documentation.
  • Only has a timer feature. Evidently there were remotes, but they're with the lost socks I'm guessing...
  • I found two auto coop doors by different brand names (Vevor and CO-Z) with boards that look nearly identical to mine.
    • I contacted CO-Z who just wants proof I purchased it to offer any help.... I just want the manual from them really
  • My friend also told me that, while he can't find the manual, it was a poorly translated piece of paper that wasn't very helpful. I believe him. We've all seen manuals like this.
  • He never used it.
  • Here is a picture of the main board in case anyone has one of these:
  • View attachment 3500919
  • I am unsure what all is going on this board, but there are four buttons.
    • The top engages setting the time.
    • Below it are two more, '+' and '-' for adjusting the time and timer settings.
    • The fourth button is for learning the remote which I don't have, so it doesn't really matter.
  • Seven wires from left to right:
    • 12v+
    • 12v-
    • motor +
    • motor -
    • Sensor+
    • Sensor
    • Sensor -
Lastly, I want to preemptively note that I do not believe that this is because I have connected it to a 12v system rather than using the original rectifier (the AC to DC adapter). Here is a picture of the Solar setup. This door worked fine when I tested it on the panel without the battery, but I do have a ridiculously huge battery. What can I say, I had the battery....
View attachment 3500947

I think it must be the board. There is some text at the top about some other setting that reads "Open the timing" and shows a button but there is just a three prong receptacle of sorts. (You might be able to see it if you zoom in.)

Deep breath. Thank you already if you made ti this far. It's a lot, but I figured I would be as detailed as possible.

And, just thank you if you have any advice!

-Sean
Did you fix it?

Back
Top Bottom