Auto feed and water ideas

910derrick

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Raeford N.c
I've been to the local feed store etc. and the feed hangers/water are like 39$ Each any good ideas that I can use like build my own or somthing ,I'm lost and I don't want my chickens to be over feed lol would be awesome I'm new to the chicken game and I'm really excited to start my own flock . Thank you - Derrick .

A 5 gallon bucket with two 90 degree elbows, cut the elbows so they are about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the bucket, I used 3 inch elbows, they have to stick their heads inside and can't fling the food out, this holds about a months worth of food for my girls.

Crafty thank you . Could you send a picture of the inside ? I'm about 500$ in on this project and now I'm trying to cut down some . And what about there water supply ? Ideas or preference ?

Water supply is a 5 gallon bucket with nipples, keeps the water clean and holds a good volume of water I am not happy with the freezing of the vertical nipples and just ordered horizontal nipples from "all bout chickens"no water stays in them so they don't freeze. I don't have any pictures of the inside and it's full of food, I used a 3 inch hole saw and a hack saw to cut the elbows, there are a few videos on YouTube for making this feeder.

I also use the 5 gallon bucket with nipples for water but rather than fill by hand I attached a gutter to the coop that has a metal roof and connect the gutter to the bucket with a garden hose. I use a horse bucket heater to keep the bucket from freezing in the winter. I use 3 inch PVC with caps and y fittings on the bottom so the chickens can not fling out the food. These are strapped to the coop under the overhang to keep them out of the weather. The caps prevent other animals from eating the food at night..

Question about the auto waterers you guys use. I was planning to make one with a 5 gallon bucket and 4 Nipples on the bottom. Right now, in my brooder I have a 2 liter bottle with a nipple on the lid and the chicks love it. My question is, do I need an air hole in the top of the bucket? The little one in my brooder randomly stops allowing water to come out but tends to work again after I take off the lid and replace it. Or is it just that their little beaks are still tiny and they're not pushing enough air into it when they get their sips.

Yes a small air hole to break the seal, mine freeze and leak, my suggestion is by the horizontal nipples while they are young, they don't leak and have less tendency to freeze because they don't hold any water in them. I just ordered them from"all bout chickens"

You have to have a small air hole or a vacuum will be created that stops water from entering or exiting the waterer. I have a hose going into the top with room for air to escape during entry or exit of water. Any container needs this air flow to work correctly. A small drilled hole works fine.

Back
Top Bottom