Auto Sexed Chicks and Sex Link Chicks

Autosexing means they are a pure variety whose coloring can be determined from hatch. No matter how many generations you have, males will be one color and females will be another. But they are the same variety.

Sexlinkage means a male and a female of different varieties (with a sexlinked gene involved) are being crossed together so that the female offspring will have the gene from their father and the male offspring will have the gene from their mother. However, if you cross these offspring together, you won’t be able to reliably determine the sex from hatch.

What is the difference between auto sexed chicks and sex link chicks???
I want to breed Welbars (Welsummer/Barred Rock cross) and I heard they are auto sexed from hatching.
A Welbar is much more complicated to create than a simple cross of those 2. My website, welbars.com, has links to the "recipe" I used about 8 years ago to create my own Welbars. I have been improving them for years and now produce lots in both gold and silver. I have pics of both on the website. Both are equally easy to sex as chicks, and they are very popular in my area as backyard chickens, combining all the advantages of Welsummers (temperament, high egg production) with the ability to sex them at hatch (MUCH more easily than even the most well bred Welsummers).
I am quite proud of my line of Welbars and have been trying to get them more widely distributed. One hatchery (Privett) already offers Welbars. No idea if they originated from my line, or how dark their eggs are. Another hatchery will hopefully be offering them in both colors next year, and they will definitely be from my line. I have to continually select for the darkest eggs and hatcheries might not be as "finicky" as I am about that selection criteria, so there may still be reason to seek out breeding stock from a known good source if you intend to breed them yourself. But for mass appeal, you can't beat the commercial hatcheries for getting a new breed noticed.

Back
Top Bottom