Auto turner mishap..

kfelton0002

Free Ranging
8 Years
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY
Hello everyone! Haven't had time to post on the introduction page, but I am new to the forum. However, I am not new to chickens and incubating eggs. It is a passion that both my husband and I share. I am the mama hen of the operation and run the incubator, which leads me to my situation. I am used to operating a Sportsman, but we sold it several months back because it was getting up in years and we eventually wanted to get a new one. I am in nursing school and couldn't shell out $700 at the moment, so we bought a small Hovabator Genesis 1588 with the automatic egg turner to meet our needs for now. I got the incubator out of the box, put it together and fired it up. The instructions to the turner didn't mention any assembly. I plugged it in and didn't pay much attention to the turner, regretfully. It sounded as if the motor was operating, and when I checked on it after being plugged in a few hours the racks were turned at an angle rather than being centered so I thought all was well. I set some test dummy eggs a friend gave me before I put good eggs in it, and my neighbor wanted a few chicks so I set some of hers. That was last Saturday.

I monitored the humidity and temp, everything seemed fine so I just went with it. Yesterday was when I began to suspect the turner hadn't moved since it turned the first time. I got to piddling with it and noticed the little white plastic arm that the motor turns wasn't in the yellow slot on the turning rack where it should be. The turner motor was also hot and no longer humming. It was jammed in the position it was in and couldn't move, and the motor overheated I imagine. I unplugged the turner, put the little arm in the slot where it was supposed to go and manually turned the eggs the rest of the day. Apparently this is a common mishap with this particular turner from what I have read in similar posts. The turner arm on the motor is often out of the slot on the turning rack when the turner leaves the manufacturer. Anyway today I plugged the turner back in and it seems to be functioning.. now. A week after I set 16 eggs, all of which are developing beautifully.

What chance is there that the yolks haven't stuck yet and the hatch will be fine? It upsets me that these developing chicks are doomed to die because their yolks may be stuck. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted you to get the full picture. Anybody experience this with good results in the end? Or should I scrap the hatch now while it's still fairly early? Thanks in advance!

Kayla

Well, the chances of them sticking are pretty high, but if the humidity was great and they are still growing, they're probably okay. If they were stuck they most likely would have died. Sounds like they just managed to make it through. All you can do is check it every day and hope they make it. If they keep growing, they will make it.

They are all bouncing away in their eggs, active as can be. I worry they may develop to near term and then die close to hatch if the yolk is stuck because they can't draw it into their abdomen. I guess it's a waiting game to see what will happen. We live and learn. I am missing my Sportsman everyday. Could kick my dang self for selling it. I thought we would be getting a new one right away but life happened and we didn't have the extra cash to spend on a big incubator. I miss the reliability of it. I knew that when I set eggs, the Sportsman was gonna do everything as long as I added water and candled for duds. It never gave us a bit of trouble holding temp or keeping the humidity in check. And the turner did it's job without any fuss or hassle.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to hear some uplifting "been there, done that and everything was fine" stories. lol. The eggs aren't important, but my neighbor has her heart set on them. She is new to the chicken addiction. Good thing her chickens lay like mad, unlike my freeloading bunch. lol

Have you considered building your own incubator? There are a lot of people on here who have built their own with very little money into them and get great hatches. I built one out of a mini-fridge for about $60, which will hold about 100 eggs. I'm still working on making it automated, but using egg flats allows me to turn 30 at a time (by tilting the tray and placing a block under one side) so it only takes a couple seconds, three times a day.
Whenever I get some time, I am going to build another one with a full sized fridge....

Have you considered building your own incubator? There are a lot of people on here who have built their own with very little money into them and get great hatches. I built one out of a mini-fridge for about $60, which will hold about 100 eggs. I'm still working on making it automated, but using egg flats allows me to turn 30 at a time (by tilting the tray and placing a block under one side) so it only takes a couple seconds, three times a day.
Whenever I get some time, I am going to build another one with a full sized fridge....
I'm not that handy I'm afraid! lol. And I really don't have the time to build one right now. It might be a project I would look into later. I have really been drooling over the large cabinet style Brinsea incubator, but for over a thousand dollars.. I don't think so! Even if cost wasn't an issue I don't see myself spending that kind of cash on an incubator unless our farm goes more large scale and we plan on selling chicks for profit. Right now I am rather fond of my Genesis. It is small and reliable. It maintains temp and humidity like a champ, and now that I have took the turner apart and got it working it seems reliable. I don't plan on hatching more than 42 at a time right now anyway while I'm in school.

Well, I hope they make it! When you candle them, turn the egg slowly around and watch. If anything sticks and won't move, the yolk is stuck. But remember, this doesn't mean they will die! I have gone through eggs having stuck yolks, like onepce when I had a broody hen, she just sat on them, and didn't ever turn them. I turned them for her on day 10, and they all lived! Good Luck!

Well, I hope they make it! When you candle them, turn the egg slowly around and watch. If anything sticks and won't move, the yolk is stuck. But remember, this doesn't mean they will die! I have gone through eggs having stuck yolks, like onepce when I had a broody hen, she just sat on them, and didn't ever turn them. I turned them for her on day 10, and they all lived! Good Luck!

Thank u so much Roxy! I will candle them tonight and see how they are doing. I hope they make it too. I hate failed hatches. And I would hate for my neighbor to be disapppinted.

Last edited:
Thank u so much Roxy! I will candle them tonight and see how they are doing. I hope they make it too. I hate failed hatches. And I would hate for my neighbor to be disapppinted.

You're welcome! I hate disappointed neighbors too lol. Have fun with the eggs! Even though eggs are more stressful than the chicks....SO much more work...:hugs :jumpy

I just got me one and haven't used it yet,ill sure check that

Yes be sure to check that the turning racks move easily in their slots and be sure the turning arm from the motor is popped into the yellow slot of the turning rack. The arm rotates and gently and slowly turns the egg racks. If it isn't in the correct slot it will not turn the eggs and you may overheat your motor.. as in my case. Luckily mine still works and is turning fine and dandy now.

And you're right Roxy, the incubating of the eggs is much more nerve wracking than the end result. If the end result is chicks that is. *fingers crossed* She gets to cuddle little fluffy butts, and I get to man the styrofoam hen. At least I got the problem solved before my precious Black Copper Marans eggs arrive. I would have had a massive coronary on the spot had that happened to them! lol

Back
Top Bottom