Auto Waterer, and winter?

MusicMan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Kentucky Lake area
Hi Everyone,

I am designing a chicken coop and run to build. And Im planning on using a nipple waterer. Also I plan on running a water supply to the chicken coop. Can I use the nipple waterer with regular water pressure or do I have to use a bucket that is automatically filled with water?

Also what do I do with the pipes and the nipples during the winter so they don't freeze.

Thanks everyone,
MusicMan

You can get regulators to reduce pressure for the nipples.
You'll need some type of heat source if it's going to be below freezing for long periods of time.
Heat tape would work best, but it would have to be protected from the birds

I am not sure about the nipple waterers...I have the automatic large bell waterers. They require a water pressure reducer. I live in the south so winters are not terrible here, but it does go below freezing.
I installed a shut-off valve in front of the pressure reducer and also a drain valve at the end of my water line that is lower the pipe that feeds the waterers, when temperature goes below freezing I just shut off the water and open the drain to rid the water in the system. I do this before it freezes. I have not had mine to freeze doing it that way. If it stays below freezing for several days, I just fill the waterers by hand. I realize your system is different than mine, but installing a shut-off valve and drain valve might be valuable.

I live in the Kentucky Lake area. During the winter it gets down and stays about 10-20F on Average.

Yes thats a good idea I will put valves and a drain system so I can empty the water out of the pipes if need be. That sounds cool to Ive never heard of the waterers you mentioned, I will look into those.

I guess I will just try using the nipples(if I decide to go that route) with a pressure regulator. If not I'll just make it gravity fed by a bucket and put a float valve in it that fills up the bucket.

Thanks for the help so far,
MusicMan

they also make a rope heater one kind goes inside the pipe and loops around and keeps the watter warm and there is the kind that wraps around the pipe. then you could wrap some insulation tape over the top of it

they also make a rope heater one kind goes inside the pipe and loops around and keeps the watter warm and there is the kind that wraps around the pipe. then you could wrap some insulation tape over the top of it

That sounds cool,

Has anyone ever used either of these and how do they work. Also would I have to run that all the way down to the frost-line or just where it comes out of the ground?​

Back
Top Bottom