Automatic Chicken door...PLEASE HELP!!

One fellow on Instructables.com used an old battery powered drill as a motor for his pop door. He said in his article that he got it from Goodwill or some such.

Chris

You could try a grill rotisserie motor, they even reverse direction when you switch them off and back on.
relatively cheep :) at home depot.

Hey Turkey, is that motor of yours 460 volts? You can buy small 110 volt AC motors that turn very slowly that could be rigged to "reel-up" your wire or cord. Or, you could do a small wheel/large wheel rig like the ones I linked you to below. Some of these little motors can be had for around $6.00 or so. You would still need a timer and maybe some switches to make it work.

This youtube video is of an egg turner. It may help you design something similar for your door opener.

This is a video of a simple door opener using a similar basic design as the egg turner.

What I like about the egg turner design is that no switches are used. Just set the amount of time it takes the large wheel to open the the door. Viola!!

I'm working on a design right now. I plan on using a battery powered drill, but I will hard wire it into transformer that plugged into AC.
For 10-20 bucks at Harbor freight I can't imagine finding another motor that already geared down properly and and contained such that it should operate for years.

i want to build an automatic chicken coop door but dont want to spend over 50 bucks. i can make everything so the only thing i will need to buy is the motor, i want a motor like this http://www.discounthomeautomation.c...p-Motor-AD20?gclid=CKLst-7k2qwCFQ1x5QodszUEpw but i dont want to spend 90 dollars. is there any other kind of electric motor that is like that but cheaper?
I was in the same boat as you.. I did buy the exact motor in the above post. I must say, i don't miss the extra $40 it costs.. It works GREAT!!! 2 yrs. and not a single problem.. Its well worth the money and easy to use.. I used a 3/16 pc. of aluminum for the door. For the guides all i did was slice tracks on the table saw.. Hope this helped

Back
Top Bottom