Automatic Coop Door Opener: Your Experiences Please!

We have an automatic opener from McMurray; and now like it - but we had to send the first one we got from them back because we could never get it to work. They replaced the entire unit, no questions asked and no hassles, and the new unit seems to be working great. During the day, you can see a picture of it from the inside of our coop on the "chicken coop cam" here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/ You need to click on the Buckeye rooster picture on the left side to access the camera. We haven't had any chickens get shut out at night and it also comes with a light that turns on so that the chickens get 14 hours of light even during the winter. It's been a nice added convenience!

A couple years ago we installed the auto door from Foy's. We love it. So much that I just ordered another (which should be here tomarrow) for our 2nd coop.

If you are worried about chickens getting locked out get the light sensor. I prefer it to the timer since it gets dark at different times. I have mine adjusted to close once it gets dark out.

How do these doors keep predators out? Cant they just pry it open? I really want one but the raccoon's here seem to have superman strength. Has anyone had problems with break in's?

Last edited:
After loosing our entire flock of beautiful banties back in Nov
hit.gif
we decided to get a automated chicken coop door. We got ours at mypetchicken.com and YES at $150 it EXPENSIVE
barnie.gif
and YES shame on us for spending that kind of cash for our Girls.....
hide.gif

BUT the door is made of Aluminum the housing solid Trex the timer easy to set (even for a Blondie like me) and it works like a charm ! The Girls (and boy) are safe at night and that's what matters to us.

We just recently installed the Fleming Outdoors auto door opener and we love it. The door is metal and the frame is that plastic wood that won't rot.

The only downside I have discovered is that when the power is out there is no way to open or close it that I have found, unless you remove the screws.

I had an old UPS (uninterruptible power supply) from my computer laying around. Ordered a new battery for it for $20, shipping incl. Installed in the coop, good to go!

Back
Top Bottom