Automatic coop door

I have Chickenguard Premium and working just fine for 1 door in the last few years. The AA batteries last about a year. If I buy again, a single heavy duty motor all metal gear can be use more than 1 door. I also find the aluminum door ~1.5 -2 lbs work best due to light weight and will extend the motor life.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-...m4d8e6a9552:g:uyQAAMXQBlJSBf-4&frcectupt=true
I've had nothing but problems with my Chickenguard. I'd stay away from this one.

I just built my first coop/run/yard and wanted to automate as much as possible (doors, food, water, eggs). I went with two of these doors. One for the run, one for the coop:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XHG472H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am now working on some upgrades as I don't like the photo-cells. They are a bit tempermental with cloudy days and my motion-sensing lights on my nearby garage cause problems. So - I'm about to add one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AP92N2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This will control two small LEDs to trick the coop door sensors into thinking it is either day or night. This Honeywell timer can calculate the proper sunrise/sunset time based on your longitude and lattitude. This will adjust the opening and closing times for the seasons (they vary quite a bit here in Michigan) but WITHOUT relying on ambient light. The coop door sensors will only see the white LEDs. It is a bit of a kludge, but it addresses the main problems I have.

Mine has run nicely this summer set to open at daylight and close at dusk, but don’t want cooo getting too cold if it’s open all day.
With good ventilation inside the coop will be the same temp as outside the coop.
If the wind is rushing in thru the pop door, build a wind break.

Do you leave it open during the day in winter? Mine has run nicely this summer set to open at daylight and close at dusk, but don’t want cooo getting too cold if it’s open all day.

Yes, I change nothing as far as routine for the chickens in the winter. I cover 3 sides of what I call the roofed run with clear shower curtain, the extended run stays available and uncovered year round. I plug in the heated waterer and heated feed bowl but otherwise all is the same including afternoon evening free range time. Although they only traverse the shoveled walkway between my door and the coop when there is snow on the ground.

Yes, I change nothing as far as routine for the chickens in the winter. I cover 3 sides of what I call the roofed run with clear shower curtain, the extended run stays available and uncovered year round. I plug in the heated waterer and heated feed bowl but otherwise all is the same including afternoon evening free range time. Although they only traverse the shoveled walkway between my door and the coop when there is snow on the ground.
Heated water outside? Good idea covering run sides.

Back
Top Bottom