Automatic Feeder.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by macdoogle2, Mar 10, 2012.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Anyone here use automatic feeders? The kind where a chicken steps on a platform and the lid lifts up. I'm thinking of getting the one from Hayneedle. Do they work?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have two that I made and I love them. I no longer lose feed to the wild birds and mice, which was costing a lot. The one you point to on Hayneedle looks great, but is pretty spendy--I might consider a Grandpa's Feeder (made of metal) at that price. Even with the price, it doesn't take long for a feeder like that to pay for itself if you have a wild bird problem by saving feed and limiting exposure. If you're handy, you could make one yourself for about $35 using the plans in my sig. line. I should point out that there is some training of the chickens to teach them how to open the feeder.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I built one that worked great. The only think was I had it in my run and it took up a lot of space. I gave it to my neighbor. They are pretty easy to build and work really weel. It is fun to watch the chickens learn how it works.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I built one and it work just fine. One issue I see is the chicken do step and stand on the top cover so the other couldn't eat at time. I do modified mine from the original so no more wasting their food & rat problem period.

Here is how my look. https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/5803155

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by