Automatic opener slide door predator proof???

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have racoon problems. I have seen them pull off chicken wire stapled to 2x4s.

I need to install an automatic chicken door, and I know how to do that using a slide style door. The problem is that the openers and doors have no 'lock' mechanism. They all rely on gravity to close the door. Has anyone had problems with raccoons opening a sliding door like this? Seems to me they would easily be able to lift it and get inside. I know the door is supposed to slide past a ledge so they can't get their fingers under to lift, but sometimes shavings will get under it and prevent that.

Can a coon open a sliding door? I would add weight, but the openers are only rated to 4 lbs.

I bought my first auto door from another BYCer who was changing a coop design and no longer needed the system. On the metal door panel were marks she said were of raccoon attempts to open it.

The type I use slides up and down in a track on each side of the opening. Not only does it slide WELL below the bottom of the opening, but the metal slides keep it very tight to the wall of the coop. *I* cannot push it up with my palms, and the litter never gets so high that the door doesn't drop below the opening.

Which unit do you have? Is it a home grown variety with the motor and custom built door?

Do you have a picture? I am thinking of building one with the D20 motor and putting the door in drawer tracks like you would a kitchen drawer.

Last edited:
We've had ours for 4 years, without a problem. Ours is also installed on the inside and slides below the door opening, because I was concerned about raccoons. There's nothing to grip on the outside, to open it. I have an elevated door opening, to contain deep litter. I either have ramps or a little platform that has a ramp at the door. We change things once in awhile, as the coop is 20 years old. So, shavings have never been a problem in the doorway. I manually unhook the door and lower it for blizzards. I don't want the door open at those times. Normal snow has never blocked it. We have the one like Foy's carries, with the light sensor on a cable.

No, definitely not home-grown with Add-a-motor. This is one of Foy's Electronic Doorkeeper models, with the light sensor (or timer, but I don't use the timer, just the light sensor).
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

I have two, now, one regular sized door in one coop, and one large size in amother coop, so the Jersey Giants can use it.

OK...thanks for the help everyone. I think I may go ahead and order the motor by itself. For the cost of assembled units, I am certain I can build one heavier and more precise for less than half the cost.

We'll see.

What's the worst that can happen? Chicks are on sale every spring, right!?

We have the Addamotor motor with a metal door. Like gryeyes, ours is in really tight and the door goes below the floor a couple inches. It's metal so there is no way to get a grip (as in wood). We've had it a year now, and we have coons and coyotes. Never had a problem.

We got the motor and a timer for less than $100.

Good luck!

E/

Edit: I didn't read her second post where she says she has a Foys. I hear they are good, but expensive. I also already had a door, so I didn't want a "kit".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom