Automatic pop door closers?

Would you want a timed pop door, closer-only, if it were much cheaper than the opener/closer combos?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
You seem to be mistaken. I found a motor that would open a door. But there was no timer or connector to the door (you had to connect it yourself) and it ran on a plug not a battery and was clearly a contraption not meant to be exposed to weather. I found it on etsy. It was not a complete system.

I have had an automatic door for 2 years & love it. A couple times several got caught outside for no apparent reason, but not since I put the second closing option on. That being said, I check them every night when I am home, but it is wonderful when I go away for the weekend & in the morning. Previously I left their door open while away & hoped for the best. Never had a problem while away, but I like having the door.

The very reason I have a chicken camera so I can check the coop from my couch...

JT
Well here, Chickens are not really pets but usable livestock either meat or eggs...Only posted as to what could happen..Yesterday my Husband found a Hen that was not put in with the flock after free ranging...It happens..Head count at night before Coop/pop door gets closed....

I have had an automatic door for 2 years & love it. A couple times several got caught outside for no apparent reason, but not since I put the second closing option on. That being said, I check them every night when I am home, but it is wonderful when I go away for the weekend & in the morning. Previously I left their door open while away & hoped for the best. Never had a problem while away, but I like having the door.

I agree, never had a problem with mine (using one on each coop) and saves the worry about being away overnight. Mine has the photo sensor and closes up a little later than I thought it should but I got used to it and like it now because I've never had anyone caught outside. It has the 2nd open/close feature a minute or two later to let in any stragglers. Its also solar/battery powered because I don't have AC to my coops.

Well here, Chickens are not really pets but usable livestock either meat or eggs...Only posted as to what could happen..Yesterday my Husband found a Hen that was not put in with the flock after free ranging...It happens..Head count at night before Coop/pop door gets closed....

The only way a chicken could be caught right outside the door is if the door closed before dusk. After dusk chickens can't see and would not be able to find their way to the door and I've watched what happens when it gets dark fast the chickens just sit down where they are because they can't see. My chickens are aways inside well before civil dusk which is when I close the door. My door automagicly adjusts the closing and opening time each day based on sunrise and sunset time and dusk offset. Timer based doors rely on the owner to adjust the timer. Photocell doors are a bit better but not infallible as a very dark day can make the door close and the reason I switched from photocell to actual sunrise and sunset times.

JT

Yeah, if a chicken of mine were outside when a timer went off after full dark, they wouldn't have been able to get into the coop even if the door were open.

Back
Top Bottom