Autosexing Breeds/Colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Omniskies, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I've realized that I'm becoming more and more geared toward just keeping birds that can be sexed right away. It seems more cost efficient to know that you have four roosters and three pullets within a week or two rather than wait a few months to figure it out.

Certain colors seem to be autosex within a certain age. Salmon Faverolles can be sexed within a couple of weeks due to wing color, and from what I can tell, Salmon/Wheaten-anything works the same way. Silver Grey Dorkings can be autosexed at a day old. Does this mean that anything with the Silver Grey coloring can also be sexed as day olds, such as Silver Grey Leghorns?

What colors have you found to be autosexing and at what age can you tell the males and females apart?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    barreds, as day olds

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The more obvious ones: Sex-links. Can tell their gender once they're born.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Check the listings at Double-R Discount -- they have they're chicks grouped by sexable and nonsexable.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
  6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:How does that work? Is is the amount of white vs. black??
    Christina

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Christina

The females are usually more black while the males are more silvery and tend to have less black on their legs.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Christina

The females are usually more black while the males are more silvery and tend to have less black on their legs.

Also, male barred rocks have a large white dot on their head while the females have a little or no dot on their head.

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    As you may know most hatchery breeds except rare breeds are wing sexed at hatching.

10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I do know that [​IMG] However, I was curious how a person can judge based on the barring.
    I wish I could wing sex too... That would save a lot of $$ in the long run as I hatch the majority of my chicken myself
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by