avacado tree leaves

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wesleyzhere, Nov 19, 2019.

1. my chickens eat the leaves from avacado trees, live in the middle of 5 acre avacado ranch.they been doing it vfor a month and they seem healthy should i stop them from free ranging?
    wes

mamajos and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    My understanding about the toxic part of avocado, is the Pit inside. It is the size of a pig pong ball, so not likely able to be eaten by chicken. Not sure, but the outer skin may be bad on the fruit also. If a chicken did start to eat a fallen fruit, the inside guacamole part is supposed to be good. They would eat that instead of the tough skin anyways.
    Many things (plants) around are toxic to chickens. Tomato plants are from the Nightshade family. My chickens eat the ripe fruit, but leave the green foliage alone. (have had chickens over 20 years now) I also do find Deadly Nightshade growing in my fence line. I do remove it growing. It appears to me that chickens are smarter than we think, when it comes to avoiding bad things. My chickens free range , and choose their greens themselves.
    I think problems arise,,,,,, when chickens are in a barren run, with nothing but dry ground. A toxic plant grows thru the fence,,,, and since it is the ONLY GREEN THING there, they snack on it.
    You see that your chickens free ranging are still healthy. I would let them keep so.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

mamajos, FarmerGirl101 and slbenter like this.
  3. adickenscoop

adickenscoop Songster

Mar 15, 2015
    mamajos and trumpeting_angel like this.
  4. slbenter

slbenter Songster

Mar 24, 2013
    Dover Tennessee
    I know the leaves are fine for humans. My Mexican daughter in law uses them in some of her dishes. Pretty sure they won't harm the chickens.

cavemanrich and mamajos like this.
  5. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    I’ve read that the seeds and the tough peel are toxic for our birds.

cavemanrich and mamajos like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: