Average BYC life expectancy poll!

ChickHotel

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Nampa, ID
I am fairly new to the world of chickens, but am already addicted and adore my 5 byc's (RIR (Rosie), Buff Orp(Sweetie Pie), Barred Rock (Lily), Golden Sex (Monster) and Americana (Gretel)). So when my Statistics teacher gave our semester end project and left the topic up to the student I immediately thought of my chickens! (Yes, I am 30 and still in college...I should have bought chickens earlier instead of having three kids!).

I have heard that chickens live anywhere from early victims of predators and illness all the way up to 15! What I need for my project is some raw data to analyze. So if some of you fine chicken folk would post some of your former chickens life spans and a brief description of cause of death (i.e. old age, injury, illness or predator) I would be very grateful.

I do not mean for this to be a downer, I was actually pleasantly surprised to see just how long my little chicky-bocks can live! (That's the pet name my 3yr old gave 'em.)

Thank you in advance!

Lindsay

Last edited:
Last year's data:

RIR hen -17 weeks, heat stroke in an April heat wave
Senior Cocky - 28 weeks- mean as hell and butchered for tamales (he attacked my neice after several weeks of increasing aggression)
Coco & Vin are 1.5 years, both laying and doing fine

If all goes well, a chicken can live well past the tender lovin' age of 10. They'res some folk on here that have had them reach the age of 14!

One of my hens lived to be almost 9 years old. She was a Speckled Sussex.

Last edited:
5 year old EE, and she's still kickin!
big_smile.png

Well, the oldest right NOW is three years...and still laying!

We've had, I believe, a RIR hen who lived to be 5...She may have died from old age or she got tired of having new chickies to deal with.

Crooked Tail [Claret Roo]- 13 years, died fighting a younger rooster when we weren't home to break it up.
Miss Thin [Claret hen] - 9 Years, snake bite on the crop.
Domino [a Dominique] - 5 years, predator.

Back
Top Bottom