1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Average % hatch rate from your homemade bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Mar 24, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    The thread about the hot water heater thermostat bators got me wondering. I am in the middle of converting one of those large coke fridge/coolers that doesn't work anymore into a bator, and I just set up the HWT and the light bulb to see if I can get it stabilized. I was just wondering what kind of hatch rates do you normally get in your homemade bators? Please share what your average hatch rate is, and whether you used a HWT or something else. [​IMG]

2. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    Just finished mine I am using HWT and 60 watt bulb. I have a red Bull fridge. I hope it gives me wings.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm wondering this too! i want to make my own bator....just a few more things to work out first

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Don't have an average hatch rate. First hatch on homemade bator. 3 eggs, three cheeping chicks. 100% despite the NOT having it all set up the way I wanted it.

It's close and it'll get better once I have it empty long enough to fix it. But there are abandoned turkey eggs in there now ... so I can't fix it yet. LOL.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

75% in my fridge incubator. All most 100% grow to term but humidity is killing me [​IMG]

6. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    95 % with my own eggs. Very bad results with shipped, dont even want to say. I built a knock off of the GQF and used a wafer and now electronic therm. Killed my first hatch with HWT, that spiked.

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I made our first incubator out of an old wooden sewing machine stand with a light bulb on a dimmer switch and can get a 95% hatch rate. Couldn't get a water heater thermostat to regulate temp close enough. The closest was a 9 degree swing, not good enough for hatching chicks.

9. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    My homemade incubator is just a wooden box with 2" styrofoam insulation, a WHT and a light bulb. First hatch was 15 out of 16 fertile eggs. Now have a dozen BO eggs and as dozen mixed turkeys in it waiting for hatching to commence. Have had no trouble with spikes in temps at all, but I worked for a week to make sure that it was fine tuned before setting any eggs.

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:LoL you made me laugh [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by