Average % hatch rate from your homemade bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Mar 24, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    The thread about the hot water heater thermostat bators got me wondering. I am in the middle of converting one of those large coke fridge/coolers that doesn't work anymore into a bator, and I just set up the HWT and the light bulb to see if I can get it stabilized. I was just wondering what kind of hatch rates do you normally get in your homemade bators? Please share what your average hatch rate is, and whether you used a HWT or something else. [​IMG]

2. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    Just finished mine I am using HWT and 60 watt bulb. I have a red Bull fridge. I hope it gives me wings.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Songster

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm wondering this too! i want to make my own bator....just a few more things to work out first

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Don't have an average hatch rate. First hatch on homemade bator. 3 eggs, three cheeping chicks. 100% despite the NOT having it all set up the way I wanted it.

It's close and it'll get better once I have it empty long enough to fix it. But there are abandoned turkey eggs in there now ... so I can't fix it yet. LOL.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

75% in my fridge incubator. All most 100% grow to term but humidity is killing me [​IMG]

6. KYBOY

KYBOY Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    95 % with my own eggs. Very bad results with shipped, dont even want to say. I built a knock off of the GQF and used a wafer and now electronic therm. Killed my first hatch with HWT, that spiked.

8. I made our first incubator out of an old wooden sewing machine stand with a light bulb on a dimmer switch and can get a 95% hatch rate. Couldn't get a water heater thermostat to regulate temp close enough. The closest was a 9 degree swing, not good enough for hatching chicks.

9. rnoyster

rnoyster Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    My homemade incubator is just a wooden box with 2" styrofoam insulation, a WHT and a light bulb. First hatch was 15 out of 16 fertile eggs. Now have a dozen BO eggs and as dozen mixed turkeys in it waiting for hatching to commence. Have had no trouble with spikes in temps at all, but I worked for a week to make sure that it was fine tuned before setting any eggs.

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:LoL you made me laugh [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by