Average price to have chickens processed?

So when in doubt try to communicate, right?? I decided to just be honest with this person and turns out he was fine with that. We worked out him coming over to teach/guide us in humanly euthanizing and the process we will give him 2 birds. I am happy with this deal.

Thank you all for offering your thoughts and experiences. That gave me the confidence to just talk with him. Turned out well in the end.
Absolutely!!
Glad you worked it out.

Awesome to find out that he's willing to teach you and not trying to swindle you!
Turns out he is extremely passionate about humane treatment and euthanization of chickens (and food animals in general). He has trained/observed a few different methods and has come up with what he feels best for his chickens. He seems to be very present during the process giving thanks for the life given. This has worked out well indeed.
I am still not looking forward to it though, I think it will be quite emotional for me to witness and take part in.

I've wanted to be able to process my own chickens for a while, haven't got the gall yet.

He sounds very professional and like you couldn't ask for a more compassionate teacher.

Good luck to you. Your experience will give you a valuable new skillset.

Soooo......yeah. This just happened 🤷

Quote from text:
"Hey Cara, after thinking about it more, I don't feel good about coming out to you all to teach because the service I'm comfortable providing is processing in my own space. It really sounds like you all are going to do great!"

Hmmmmmm......back to square one. We will be doing it ourselves. We will use the cone method and full decapitation. I am still trying to prepare myself 🥺

If you don't have a cone, you can bind the bird in a clean, old, unwanted bath towel, over his shoulders and pinning his wings with the towel. One person holds the bundled bird, the other operates the cutting implement. This method would be more traumatic to the person holding the bird, as even when the head of the chicken is separated from the body, the bird's nervous system will make it seem as if the bird is struggling. Rest assured, that the bird is quite dead once he's decapitated and the movement is random electrical signals (not proof of life). I'm proud of you and your family for taking this important step on your road to self sufficiency. As for "Mister I want half of your flock PLUS I want you to PAY ME an unreasonable price for any of YOUR birds that you take home" who later became "No, no, You're right, I'll gladly come out and walk you through the process" and then later became "I'm such a jerk, that I made promises that I won't keep." Yeah... him. Unfriend him. He's a waste of your time, energy, and everyone's oxygen.

Sorry for the harsh sentiments, but my candy-coated word factory is on the 'blink' today, and I'm not certain that I can find the part that will fix it.

Soooo......yeah. This just happened 🤷

Quote from text:
"Hey Cara, after thinking about it more, I don't feel good about coming out to you all to teach because the service I'm comfortable providing is processing in my own space. It really sounds like you all are going to do great!"

Hmmmmmm......back to square one. We will be doing it ourselves. We will use the cone method and full decapitation. I am still trying to prepare myself 🥺
So can you go learn at his place?

So can you go learn at his place?
I have a feeling he is not interested in helping anymore. It's really strange because his last message said he was happy to teach others. Ah well.

@Tycine1
I was actually thinking about wrapping the chickens up in a towel and calming them before placing them in the cone, in the towel. I figured the warm snug towel would feel better than the cold cone. Does this even make sense? I just want them to feel calm and peace beforehand. Not sure I would be very good help at processing a fair number of chickens. Lol

Back
Top Bottom